2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 2500HD model:
Good truck
By drenski on 09/18/14 08:38 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned this older Duramax SLT 4x4 truck for over a year now and it has been pretty good. The only issues I've had with this truck that are not operator caused are I had a few bearings go out in the belt pullies, alternator bit the dust and the Hydroboost had to be replaced. All of these I was able to do myself with minimal effort. There were some other things that needed repair but those were not the truck's fault. It IS an older truck. Everything else seems to be fine. The engine is strong and the Allison tranny works great. I'm overall happy with the truck. I just wish the cab was a bit more polished. I bought the truck to pull and it does it well.

great performance
By hobackj on 09/01/09 08:09 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I just recently purchased a 2002 GMC 2500hd Duramax diesel. It is a very dependable truck. It will pull any trailer that I need it to pull and if it doesn’t, a power chip can always be added for increase in horsepower and torque. This year and newer comes with the either a 6-speed or the automatic Allison transmission, both are great for pulling or just for driving, depending on what the owner mainly does with it. Without a chip this truck can get up to 18mph which is pretty good for a ¾ ton truck. Along with performing good this truck is also roomy with either the extended cab 4 door or the full 4 door versions. Another good thing about a diesel is that if they are taken care of they can ru

#1 Vehicle I've ever had
By Momma on 08/27/08 16:30 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 2WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I love it! Wouldn't drive anything else. Purchased in 2002 - now it's 2008 and I wouldn't trade it for another! This pick up has never given me trouble, not even a flat tire. Perfect pick up! I love to drive it

2500HD 4x4 6.0L
By joel on 08/20/08 06:51 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I really love this truck. I call it "big truck". I don't like the gas mileage, aprox 13 mpg but what could I expect. It definilety has the pulling power, and the acceleration that I would want. I drove a couple of F-250's and I just didn't like the ride quality as much as I do this truck. I'm very happy with this truck

Great truck
By Tyler on 03/18/08 20:32 PM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I work in the oil patch in northern Alberta and this truck really works well here! I have the 8.1 liter gas pig but I don't care about fuel economy because it is so fun to drive! I have no problem keeping up to diesel's and some times pass them on big hills. I love the design, the ride is great and it really rips when you want it too. I tow a 10,000 flare stack regularily and this truck doesn't back down at all.

VERY Tough Truck
By Nate on 03/22/06 09:43 AM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 5M)

My truck is a bare-bones model set up for hard work--manual trans and 4WD, no carpet, plow mount, etc--and it's main use is hauling firewood. It's often driven off road into the forest on extremely rough ground, then out again fully loaded with green oak. I've got to be at the 9200lb GVW, but the truck still performs very well. The granny gear gets the load moving with no problem, and the dual-piston calipers stop her just fine. On the road and unloaded, the truck rides very nicely for a vehicle with so much load- handling capacity. All-in-all, I've been very impressed.

Pleased
By Gary on 01/24/06 12:01 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We enjoy our 2500K HD Diesel powered truck except the cloth seats (front) are not comfortable on long runs. We are of average weight and find ourselves having to stop frequently. The seat become flat and loose cushion after being seated for short lengths of time. Order leather bucket if you can.

Best GMC I have owned
By Great truck, Rich on 01/09/06 22:33 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

End of year clearance when I bought it. I got a good deal. I use it for work and hauling a 5th wheel camper. You hardly know you have the camper behind it. It is a pleasure to drive and with nearly 90k miles it is rattle free and quiet. The long bed makes towing a pleasure. The 4 wheel disks brakes are3 greatpaired with the ABS, I still have more than half the pads left, my other car is a Ford ambulance, I'll take the GMC any day over the Ford, Dodge is noisy and only has short beds with the crew cab. I'm planing on a new GMC soon with a few more bells and whistles.

2002 Gmc Duramax, 4wd Crew Cab
By Rich Hartmann on 12/13/05 23:55 PM (PST)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 2WD LB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

One of the best trucks I have owned. I have had no problems whatsoever. the biggest repair (only repair) was a universal joint. I tow a 5th wheel camper and am quite satisfied with the performance. Braking is smooth and sure in all conditions, the 4 wheel disk brakes still have a long way to go when checked at 80+k miles. I do my own maintenance and have crawled under and around this truck and I am impressed with it's sturdiness and build quality. It has what appears to be one of the most massive frames in any similar truck I've looked at. I like everyone else would like to see better fuel economy. I would like to see an easier to change fuel filter. Yes I will buy another GMC, probably in 0

DMAX
By Herc on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have put 52000 miles on this truck and it has performed well. I had a few problems at first but the only problem I still have is the AC. The AC still does not blow cold off and on during the summer. Been in 6 times for it now it is out of warrantee. I tow a 5th wheel rv and a 36' flat bed trailer and it does supurb.