2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Review: Couldn't ask for anything more

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 - Consumer Review

Base Regular Cab Pickup (4.3L V6 5-speed Manual 6.1 ft. Bed)

Couldn't ask for anything more.
By rustysmith on

2003 GMC Sierra 1500 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

6 years later, I'm still happy with my purchase. It's been a great truck with no worries. The only problem I've had is not getting the speedometer fixed before the recall ran out. My own fault. Other than that, only oil changes for over 120k miles. Reliability on these trucks is second-to-none. I have three friends with the same body style (one '04 and two '05's) and all have over 100k miles w/only 3 problems. My speedometer went out @ 105k. On the '05, his alternator went out @ 134k and his tranny went @ 166k. Using the gold standard of reliability, he has an '01 Camry. The starter went @ 150k and the tranny @ 160k. GM seems to be catching up to the Japanese automakers. Great job.

-Far and away the smoothest-riding full-size pickup on the market. Toyota's a distant second, and the rest head up the rear. -120k+ miles and reliability has been better than any other truck I've owned. -More than adequate power from the V6. -Superior ergonomics. Only Ford surpasses the GMs.

-Seats could definitely be a bit more comfy. I love plush, but GM could take a cue from Toyota. -Though peppy, the V6 was never meant for towing. -No matter how much better of a ride GM has than Fords and Toyotas, my singe cab truck will never be mistaken for a good road car.