2006 GMC Envoy XL - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Envoy XL model:
Used Envoy XL Denali
By gm_dave on 02/10/13 17:47 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased ours 3 years ago so it was 4 years old when we got it. It was GM certified and one owner with about 45,000 miles. We've put on about 40,000 miles. it has been mostly trouble free except for the rear air suspension failed early on. This was covered under the GM Certified warranty so that was a relief. Performance and power is decent with the standard 5.3L V-8. One other problem was excess oil consumption, which was due to a faulty valve cover design. This was replaced at our expense by the local GM dealer.

How sad :(
By lemonsuv on 12/18/12 02:49 AM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I cringe when I learn friends have purchased a used GMC Envoy. I feel like I should just 'scream' to let them know how much money they will be spending for stupidness. The first brand new vechile I ever purchased. I can't begin to tell you the amount of money I have spent on it. A lemon it is. Stupid things go wrong that should not go wrong. Stablity track 6 times needs to be fixed. Window motor...3x's Now the ignition switch went...my fuse box gets so hot my kid in the back can smell it. Light bulbs blow every 2 months. Oil gauge went, fuel gauge went. All and all, I spent over 6,000 in repairs since I bought it. Does GMC care? I highly doubt it. Would I purchse another...NOPE!

Best SUV I have ever owned
By envoyshow on 03/28/11 13:03 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 5th SUV and by far this one has been the best. I have owned a few Jeeps, a Pacifica, and most recently an Acura MDX and this one by far has been the best one. The ride has been much better than all of them, the interior design has been the best as well. It is bigger than all of them but not too big. Lot's of cargo space when 3rd row is up. Mecahnically the MDX was by far the worst with the 4X4 going out and the transmission. The Envoy mechanically has been great. The only issue we have had with it is one of the power windows but that was covered by the extended warranty we bought from National Vehicle Headquarters. We think we will keep this to 150,000 miles at least!!!!!

Bordering on Lemon
By Kjeter on 08/10/10 15:01 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Within two weeks of buying, the vehicle was backfiring on engine start up. Electronic control module had to be replaced. At same time, engine was producing blue smoke on start up...entire engine had to be replaced. Since then, load balancers went out of whack and had to be fixed, ECM had to be replaced again, Heat and cooling module had to be replaced, signal light indicator in display panel has failed, rear hatch lock assembly had to be repaired, and now I'm dealing with engine ticking and loss of power that service bulletin is attributing to a lifter problem. Seems like this latter problem should be a GMC recall vice just service bulletin notice.

LoveMyDenali
By LovemyDenali on 06/17/10 05:44 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have own this vehicle since new since the end of 2005 and it has been great. I have never had a problem, it drives and handles well. It is a Denali, so is loaded and very comfortable with leather interior and power and heated seats. It does not have the best mileage but for the size I think it does pretty well. On the highway handles well and give a lot better mileage at 22 mpg. I have no complaints but just praise about the vehicle and is a keeper in my book.

Nightmare
By Zut on 05/17/10 11:26 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle from day one. Within the first year I experienced broken door handles, power door module caught fire, broken rear defroster. SInce, I have had 3 ingition switch failures, had to replace all lifters to due poor design. Most recently, the rear hatch plastic cover above window with the center brake light flew off while driving. This was an absolute nightmare of a vehicle and goes to the problems GM has. I bought it because I wanted professional grade. I was so wrong. Also own 2 G5's for my daughters and replaced both engines within the first 3,000 miles. Nice.

Nice SUV
By budlite1013 on 11/21/09 08:18 AM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I really like my 2006 Envoy, but since I bought it in April 2009, I've had to replace a regulator for my fan, and a drivers door switch, for a total cost of about $1000.00. I'm hoping this is the end of the electrical problems. I suggest you buy extended warrenty and make sure it includes electrical. I wish these were as reliable as they Jimmys!

Good SUV with minor problems
By Tish on 05/13/09 06:04 AM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in the summer it was a nice vehicle the was very smooth. First my rear wiper motor went out then a month later my Body Control Module starts acting up along with my six-disc changer not working.(ABC Computer)This parts are not covered under warranty when asking the price I was given $2100 to fix both of them. My suv will not start sometimes, the security system locks me out of dosen't read my key or keyless entry. I don't this have that kinda of money to put into the truck. I have to pay for xm and park the truck in the garge most of the time. I took it to the dealership and they looking like you have to pay out of pocket why isn't it covered it's an electrical problem.

Long Term SUV
By farmer72 on 03/17/09 14:28 PM (PDT)

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The car is a joy to drive. Reliability is outstanding, handling is good, and mileage is good for a large V-8. My family likes the features that set it apart from other similar vehicles. On the road, it is a great vehicle that is comfortable on very long hauls.

Exactly what I wanted
By Michael T on 12/10/08 17:36 PM (PST)

2006 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The inline 6 cylinder engine is very powerful and sacrifices little fuel economy. The ride is sublime. More cupholders upfront would be nice. The seats are very supportive and the 4 wheel drive is capable with its auto feature. The transmission is competent, but would have done better with GM's superb six-speed. The interior layout is intuitive and there are no major plastic creaks and rattles when driving. Steering is light and agile, possibly too much for a large midsize truck? The back is cavernous and can haul almost anything.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.