Used 1995 Geo Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Geo Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Best Car for the Money
By jbiltz

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

My dad bought the car new in January of 1996. He gave it to me in December 2000. The only problem he had was a starer & the A/C needed to be replaced. It has 171k miles on it now & I have nothing but praise for this car. I think it will easily do another 100k miles. We have 2 kids & one on the way so we recently bought a minivan, as well we have a crewcab Silverado. We don't need 3 cars, but I don't want to part with the Prizm. I drive it daily to work. A couple years ago I made 3 trips to Canada & back from Dallas - never a problem.

Best car GM has made in years as far as reliability is concerned

Oh GM, would that you made more cars like this one. What were you thinking when you stopped production in 2002?!?

It's been a gem!
By billyb34usa

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

My Geo had 15,600 on it when I bought it. It had been a rental. It's an automatic, but I've gotten a steady 30- 31 mpg around town, upwards to 35 mpg on a long trip. I'm 71 and owned this car longer than any other. Starter and alternator have been only replacements. It's been in California all these years and garaged every night so the body and paint still look great. I love its looks.

Looks. Mileage. Reliability.

Start making them again.

Like a Lexus?!?
By rotaidalg

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car from an individual in Colorado (I live in Montana). The car was new in Texas and the second owner bought it in 2002. It's the LSi w/leather interior 6 spkr sound system Cassette/CD - the works. Also it's the 5-spd tranny. 189,050 miles on it when I bought it - now at 192,070. Previous owner had ALL belts replaced, clutch, rear suspension, the left front wheel bearing - all between 150,000 and 179,000 miles. The car is a bit noisy at highway speeds - but I'm still running studded Snow tires w/aggressive tread - will be quieter w/normal All-season tires on it. Currently getting between 38 and 41 MPG! I love Toyotas and that's really what this is!

Styling, economy, reliability, full- featured, Leather, Moonroof, trunklight and liner, alloy wheels, interior finish, heater controls, ABS, TILT wheel, intermitent whipers, headrests, 60/40 split fold-down seat (for snowboard!), stereo, power locks w/key activation, dipstick location, quality!

better cupholders, extendable sunvisors (too short), passenger-side door locking button (added in 96 models!), no carbon-fiber hoods or body-mods available (different than Corolla!)

1995 Geo Prizm keeps going!
By John

1995 Geo Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in 1995 and ran it about 20,000 miles per year for the first 5 years or so. Car has been very good on gas and low maintenance. It is now used for smaller commutes and local driving, but keeps going. Very reliable, no major problems at this time. Now at 167,000 miles and going strong!

More powerful engine.

Fantastic Car!!!
By AHanson

1995 Geo Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This car is great in every respect. Good power around town, decent passing power on the highway - runs out of steam around 90 or 95 mph, but it's only a 1.8 liter. Love the standard transmission, and it still averages 33 mpg. Interior is like new, as is the paint. 147,000 miles and it's only been in the shop twice (wheel bearing assembly and clutch slave cylinder). Upgraded tires (Yoko Avid T4) give more sporty handling with a really smooth, quiet ride. Much smoother than my Explorer. There is no better car out there for the money. Period. Do yourself and buy this re-badged Corolla. Great first or commuter car. Rock solid reliable w/good performance and great MPG.

MPG, smooth quiet ride (cruises at 90 with NO vibration), 5-speed, Toyota reliability, LSi interior upgrades, ABS, the alloys look great, and the seats front and rear are very comfortable. This really is the best value for an economy car on the road. 100% Corolla for much less money.

More power (of course), better interior trim (door panels, cupholders, armrest). Resale could be better, and I wish foglights were an option. It tends to understeer when pushed, but there can be lift-throttle oversteer.