2003 Ford Windstar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:
I Like This Van
By NChawk on 10/07/09 17:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van new in June 2003 with 5 miles on it. About half the time I've had it, there was a high idling, throttle problem. Once they figured out to replace the throttle sensor, and then the throttle assembly, it has run great....and I've got over 140,000 miles on it now. I had to replace the transmission at 112,000 miles, which cost about $3,300. It gets about 22 mpg on the highway, and 17 in town. It has all the whistles and bells and they all still work....although I wish they had had the DVD instead of the VCP. I'm happy with my Windstar and expect to keep it for another 3-4 years.

Poor quality
By Ford - never again on 04/21/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Seems like this car knew it had passed the 3 year / 36,000 mile mark and started to disintegrate. Catalog of problems, many electrical: in-dash CD changer won't eject, rear windows open & close when they feel like it, electric sliding doors: one opens occasionally & the other won't close completetly, steerng motor howls like a werewolf.

Once they fixed the throttle sensor..
By David on 11/13/07 11:38 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this van. Unfortunately, I had a high idling problem that went on for about 70,000 miles. Unexpectedly, it was diagnosed it as a bad throttle sensor. Once they replaced that, it's like a new car. I love it again. I've had a few "electricals." The driver side window motor had to be replaced. The "Check AdvanceTrac" comes on occasionally, but nothing is found to be wrong. Mileage is as stated, 18 to 24. I can live with that. I wish the seats were stow 'n go, but that's not a show stopper. They're heavy as heck, though. I've got 111,000 on it now and hope to get another 50-75,000. Bottom line, once the high idling was fixed, it's an nice car.

Bought used, 75K miles later
By Tim on 09/19/07 11:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2003 Windstar Limited has been a very reliable van. We have put >75K miles on in less than 4 years of ownership. The only problems we have had is occasional flickering interior lights and the in dash CD changer that sometimes does not want to eject that we deal with. The Winstar was the last van with a removable 3rd seat rather than fold flat. This is the one thing that I dislike about the van. The rear seat is heavy and bulky to move in and out. The VCP rather than DVD based entertainment system is another drawback. Our limited is very quiet and comfortable to drive, although our typical gas mileage of 20 MPG is a little lower than what we had hoped for

2003 Windstar
By gburritt on 02/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is an okay car to purchase. The price makes it an attractive buy. However, we've had a Chevy Venture and notice that the leg room is much less in the Windstar than the Venture. Good pickup. Avg. MPG = city--> 14 Highway 18.

Fire electrical engineers
By KCMOWindstar on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Limited van in Dec 2002 and have had numerous electrical probs. Dead batteries, fuel sensors, blower switches, etc. Driver front door was hard to close and had to be re-fit but still has high closing effort. The electrical engineers for this program should be thrown out on their ear.

This mini van is a lemon
By denise gibson on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our van in June 2003 and it has been in the shop 3 times now and at 800 it had to have a new motor put in it. And we just keep having problems with it. Popping noises in the rear and shortages in the passenager side. I would not recommend this van to anyone and this is the 8 Ford vehicle that we have owned.

I told my best girlfriend not to buy one
By the girlfriend on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I work at a Ford dealership, Stay away from all of them except for the Ford Trucks! They Rock! The 150's are Awesome The Windstars are sadly nothing but problems

Unflavored Life Saver
By Grateful undead on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bottom line is that this vehicle is extremely safe. Ford is suspect in some manners of craftmanship but they did it right as far as crash test safety.My advise to anyone... please spend a few extra dollers and install the side collision airbags... especially if you have children.

Ford Windstar
By FordGuy9 on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Windstar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is built very poor