Used 2002 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Hard to stop
By jerryandev

2002 Ford Thunderbird Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

After 11 years one Ford dealer new the answer. Our car motored at 25MPH (as if in cruise control ) ever since new, so it was very hard to stop . There are lots of them with the same problem . You need to change the Idle air control, about $200. Ford calls it IABP The dealer is Sunny Side Ford in Holden Ma. Scotty service manager .

Best Value Car I Have Ever Owned
By rsellson

Bought this car because it is my wifes favorite color (yellow). She wanted a convertible and the color was right...that was 5 years ago. The car brings smiles to her, and when she is down-in-the-dumps, we put the top down and go for a ride. Best inverstment I've ever made. Happy wife...happy life! Now for me. Yellow is not my color but I would drive this car even if it were purple, orange and pink. What a nice driving car. A very good balance of power, handling, efficiency, driver fit, and looks. I have never been in any other car that evokes such a pleasant response from the general public. "Nice car!" I am now considering a second T-Bird for my commute to work. Maybe silver...

Interesting design that makes the car very unique. Sporty balance of design, power, handling and comfort.

Funky headlight design. Needs "eye lids" like the 50's Thunderbirds.

Still loving it
By fred154

I've owned this car for nearly nine years now, and I (and everyone else who sees it) still consider it a new car. It looks great and drives just as smoothly after 32,500 miles as it did when new. No problems with car whatsoever. I replaced the battery simply because I had a Firestone rebate that had to be used. This isn't a family car for daily use, but it is a great toy that still makes an old man feel like a kid again!

Having two roofs for two different looks. Overall sporty design of exterior. Bright color of two-tone red and black interior with bright accents. Six CD player in radio.

Trunk could have been bigger. The low roof makes entry and exit difficult for a big guy.

Ford let 2002 owners down
By Dot

I have owned this car since 2002. I had to replace all 8 coils. It has a design flaw. Ford recongnized this and recalled the 2003,2004 and 2005. Same problem, but decided not to do the right thing for us. I also had to replace the cooling fan 2x @ $900 @ pop A/C the condenser @ $1400 and the catalytic converter for close to $1000. The trim is chrome plated plastic, which is peeling now. It is a sharp looking car, but for a maintained car with 70,000 miles, I have put too much into repair costs. I will never by another Ford (and acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily)

Sharp-looking, great pick-up

Ford- stand behind your product AND if you recall a problem for some years, do it for all the years with the same problem. Would be nice if you used trim that doesn't peel.

2002 Ford Thunderbird w/hardtop
By 2002 Thunderbird

2002 Ford Thunderbird Deluxe 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

I've had several cars that I've bought "NEW", and this beats all of them hands down. It's not a race car, but it will keep up with anything on the road. The gas mileage is good, the car is fun to drive, and, everywhere I stop, everyday, someone comments about what a nice car I have, EVERYDAY, for eight years that I've owned the car. That makes me a very proud owner. I recently had a man with a brand new corvette offer to trade me straight across. He was serious, but, I would have been the loser had I traded with him. I love my car and you couldn't trade me ten corvettes for it.

With one exception, I love everything about the car. I don't like the traction control. When ya accelerate on snow or ice, the engine cuts back. This is something a good driver does, not a computer.

675 horses might be fun but, the car is a classic, not a dragster. So, the 252 horses are just fine.