Used 1998 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Not a Bad Car
By wyomingwapiti

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I was sceptical when I bought our 98 Taurus SE in 1999 sold as a "program car". I figured I would be throwing money into this car since Taurus didnt have a very good track record in the past. I now have 97,000 miles on the car and it is still going strong. Never had any problems whatsover.Gas mileage is still about 27-30 mpg highway and considerable less in city. I have the DOHC engine which I recommend. Lots of power. I do not like the styling of this car...looks like a bubble. Like the styling of the 2000 and newer Taurus'. This is no Lexus or Infinity, so it does have squeeks and rattles and doesnt have a very good ride quality, but I am all ab

Favorite Features

DOHC Duratec Engine. Large trunk. Good highway mileage. Reliability. Engine oil filter easy to reach.

Suggested Improvements

Better styling (done in 2000) Better seats Improve transmission shift points Make sparkplugs easier to change

average car
By john_doe

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

i like the car for what it is but it has cost me money right from the beginning. brakes were the worst. anti- lock was good but the brakes themselves were always bad. the ride and design of the car is real nice untill you realize the rattle is from plastic front end suspension parts. yes plastic. so over all yea it's a nice car but would i buy anouther one? i would have to say no, only because of all the problems with the car.

Favorite Features

24 valve v6, overall design both inside and out, big trunk, fold down rear seats, a center console that folds up to make a third seat up front.

Suggested Improvements

better build quaity, better brakes, inside gas door release, use your key to use inside trunk release.

98 Taurus
By Herb2453

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Very good ecoonomical car, however design in front for tall people not good. Because doors get into room of leg.

Favorite Features

Speed Control and Rear Defroster

Suggested Improvements

Make sure trunk keys work for a long time. Have to always push from inside. Change design and make a bit shorter. Too long for small garage.

1998 FORD TAURUS
By BREA_JO

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I LOVE MY TAURUS, I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. IT HAS THE POWER I NEED TO PULL MY JET SKIS AND IS THE SMALLER SEDAN I WANTED. I LIKE THE APPEARANCE AND RELIABILITY OF IT, IT ALSO HAS LARGE TRUNK SPACE AND GREAT LEG ROOM.

What about the brakes!
By jeepstr9

1998 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Taurus for about 4 years now. I really can't complain expect for a couple of things. First and foremost are the brakes! Numerous problems with them. Second would be service from dealerships. Although not directly related to the vehicle, good service may make the diffrence of buying a from a certain maker or not.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes!!!!!