Used 1998 Ford Taurus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SE 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )

1998 Ford Taurus SE Wagon
By cinemaxmama

1998 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I have driven this vehicle for the past 13 years. Hated it then, still hate it now. BUT - most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it with 70,000 miles, I now have 180,000 and still running like a champ. There is a hole that has rusted in the floor, the door handles come apart, doors don't shut all the way, seatbelts don't pull all the way, dash is coming apart, break replacements every 6 mths, but still runs.

This car has not let me down. Still running great after 13 years.

Trustworthy old gal
By geisinger

1998 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

I bought this great car 12 years ago with 80k miles on it (it was a salesman's car) and now have 160k. It still runs great and has given me no trouble. We used it in our move from Maryland to Florida five years ago and made 6 thousand mile (each way) trips fully loaded and pulling a heavy trailer. We got 28 mpg then and still do. Other than routine maintenance, the only repair was a cacked coolant recovery bottle.

extreme reliability, plenty of power, comfort, and economy.

None. This car owes me nothing.

kina pleased
By michael

1998 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

i bought this car at the beginning of 2008 with 114k miles...i now have 130k...when i bought it it had hit a deer..car was clean..replaced the hood and head light...since then...i have replace the transmission seal and have done other replacement due to miles...dash is coming apart and radio has tape deck that goes in and out from one side of speakers...fixed the locking latch on rear door...all parts and labor have been cheap...headlights are dim...im about to replace all front end parts due to age and hitting the deer...but all in all i think this is a great car that will last me a long time...paid 1700 bucks for it and put a grand into it..2700 dollars for this car was worth it...........

power....room...smooth ride....cheap parts

better radio that you can replace your self with any other...better quality dash...

Love my 1998 Taurus Wagon
By Barby

1998 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

We have owned either a Taurus or a Sable. We are on our 5th one now. We buy them used with about 100,000 miles on them and then we drive them til about 150,000. This particular 98 Taurus Wagon we have now has 175,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Have not had any major problems with any of these cars. We get about 25-27mpg which is great. We just recently got a 2003 Taurus sedan and it does not get as good gas mileage. It's about 22-24mpg. Guess Ford changed something. We have been thinking about replacing this wagon but actually are thinking on keeping it to see just how far it will go. The body is still in excellent condition, paint not fading at all.

I can load this car with more stuff than the SUV owners can. Can lay down a 6' surfboard with room to spare.Has a very comfortable ride and the visibility is great. Is great on trips. We will keep buying them.

A/c duct for the second row of seating. Wish it had a CD player.

Best wagon I have owned
By Rondo

1998 Ford Taurus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon

Bought this wagon new and would buy the same wagon new today. This vehicle has really been super. Dislike selling it at this time with only 73k on it, but bought a new Mecury Sable. Gets great gas mileage, rides and drives very well, and has lots of room for people or various items. The grandkids love the rear seat. Love the color too, silver, which doesn't show the dirt. All in all, Ford built this wagon exceptionally. Someone is going to get s super wagon in this area....

Electric lumbar setting, easy adjusted steering wheel, lots of room to carry things, especially with the rear seats folded.

None