Used 1998 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

1998 Ford Taurus SE Wagon
By cinemaxmama

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I have driven this vehicle for the past 13 years. Hated it then, still hate it now. BUT - most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it with 70,000 miles, I now have 180,000 and still running like a champ. There is a hole that has rusted in the floor, the door handles come apart, doors don't shut all the way, seatbelts don't pull all the way, dash is coming apart, break replacements every 6 mths, but still runs.

Favorite Features

This car has not let me down. Still running great after 13 years.

Excellent Car
By musicaldark

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my Taurus in Feb 2008, she had 88k miles on her, and here at 125k miles she's still running good as new. I always believed, if you take care of your car, then your car will take care of you. That's very true! I'm faithful to 3 month oil changes, 6 month tune ups, 1 year new tires or rotation of the ones bought the following year. I went today actually to look about getting a new car and the dealer at a Honda dealership told me, "You have a great car here, I'd keep her if I was you" and you know what? He was right and I am keeping her. Best investment I ever made!

Favorite Features

What's not to love about my car? The 12 disk CD changer is awesome, power everything is a plus, durable, reliable, roomy, etc

Suggested Improvements

None at all, very happy with my girl

Durable, Long-lasting car for a Pizza Delivery Driver
By oo7chick

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in January 2010 but didn't start driving it until March because the transmission had been rigged up by previous owners. After shop did what they could to fix the transmission, I put about 36,000 miles on it driving for work and school. Had to get new brakes/pads, alternator, fuel and water pumps, battery and all the fixins. Show it some love and it will last for you! We bought it with just under 100,000 miles on it and the ending odometer was 135,500 (right on normal for the age of this car). It was a total loss when someone rear-ended me, but I would recommend this as a car worth the money. We paid $1200 originally and spend about $1500 on repairs needed for this car.

Favorite Features

Takes abuse, affordable, good gas mileage, rugged and durable, easy to drive, user-friendly, roomy cabin.

GOOD SOLID CAR
By ssmarkk

1998 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have purchased my car in 2002 with 72,000 miles on it. Now car has 131,000 miles and mechanically sounds perfectly. Had no major problems with the car at all. Since 2002 I had to change battery, the timing belt (at around 110,000 miles which is expected), belt tensioner, braking pads, boots and front rotors, turn signal switch, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, stabilizing link bars, 5 times changed expansion tank for cooling liquid, cabin and turning signal light bulbs, and, of course, tires. As you can see the most of the replacements are related to the routine maintenance. No problems with transmission and engine. This car become our family member.

Favorite Features

Very reliable, comfortable (I am 6'1" tall and feeling very comfortable in the car), quiet, solid (no squeaks or other sounds inside and outside of the car), with enough power to drive on different roads. We have travelled to the East and West coast as well to the South many times. Gas milage remains the same as car getting older. When driving with speed 70-75m/h the car gets 28 miles per gallon. In city car gets 15-19 miles per gallon (in the winter time mileage goes down). Very satisfied with this car. If you are buying used one the price would be the best when comparing with analogous cars from other makers (twice as cheap as japanese cars).

Suggested Improvements

Problem with the expansion tank for the cooling liquid. The expansion tank is incorporated into the cooling system cycle. When operating a car a pressure in the cooling system rises that eventually creates the crack in the plastic expansion tank which should be replaced. I have changed mine 5 times during last 8 years.

A truly great beater
By firstwagon

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought our 98 Taurus SE for $1200 2 years ago. Since then we have put 20,000 miles on it and done nothing but oil changes. Mileage is good, handles great for an American car, is comfortable and has a big trunk. I just wanted a cheap beater as a second car but it turned out to be a reliable daily driver.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Not exactly a good looking car, vulcan V6 is neither powerful nor fuel efficient.