Used 1995 Ford Taurus GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great Car
By jmjrpid7581

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car bank in 1997 had about 30,000 miles on it. Done the regular maintenance on the car even transmission oil change. The car still runs to this day. The car has 184,560 miles on it. Still the same transmission and engine never had trouble with any. The alternator got it tested it was ok but I still replaced it. also replaced the ac compressor and power steering pump due to the car getting high mileage and wear. Also have changed the front suspension and rear suspension . To me this is regular maintenance.

Favorite Features

The car is a great car. To me never had trouble with it. I just regular maintained the car.

Suggested Improvements

Well after 17 years some of the paint is coming off and a few rust spots are forming will get these rust spots maintained soon.

Ford TaurusGL 1995
By Calvin P Bear

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I've got 225,000 miles, and the car still runs smoothly, getting 27 mpg highway, which is mostly what I do. Over the years I've replaced most of what was attached to the engine: radiator, alternator, power steering pump, recharged AC. The worst was the paint job which flaked off in several places 5 years ago. Fortunately I can paint cars, and it's as shiny as a new car now. It's paid for, looks good, runs quietly and economically. I'm going to drive it until it falls apart.

Favorite Features

I bought it for the styling: When it first came out it was very refreshing and I still like it

Poor Transmission Life Expectancy
By Pete

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 44,600 mi on it. At 77,000 MI The transmission failed completely (Trans fluid not burned or discolored) and without any warning. I was driving at a steady 45 MPH and when I stepped on the gas the engine rpm increased, but the car didn't accelerate. After coasting to the side of the road, I found that the car wouldn't move in any gear. I spent $2400.00 on towing, and a trans rebuild. I am not impressed with this car. It reminds me of the junk GM built in the 70's. The trans shop reported that the splines were stripped from the main shaft. Also, the gas gauge only works sometimes. My 93 Pontiac Transport has 294,100 MI and no major repairs ever needed. (still runs well).

Favorite Features

Once inside and underway, car is fairly comfortable. Air and heat work good.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability of trans and gas gauge need improvement. Location of parking brake release lever is almost inaccessible when driver sits in car-needs to be relocated. Height of door opening needs to be about 2 in. taller-car is difficult for a tall person to get into or out of.

Got lucky
By Pleased

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

It seems my Taurus will never die. 265,000 miles and going strong. Not a drop of oil burned or leaked. Have replaced some of the expected wear parts -usually before they broke down. always change oil at 3000 miles. replaced transmission at 230,000. some of the paint is beginning to fail and the interior plastic is becoming brittle and breaking.

Favorite Features

Very dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint,

Good car for a Ford
By Jimbo

1995 Ford Taurus Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Got it back in 2006, great car! Been in two accidents with it and worst i had was replacing a bumper and all the plastic stuff on the front end. Its a pretty tough car. I'm thinking of finding a sho version of the 3.0 L though and transmission could use some improvement. the interior is cheap, door panels falling off so they are screwed to door frame with sheet metal screws.

Favorite Features

size of it. I love how the Taurus is a big car since people don't see small cars any more.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, interior and sound system.