1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
Very fun car needing costant attention
By sho-rod on 07/14/07 12:02 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

Very fun car. Very comfortable, fully loaded. Catback exhaust, lightweight flywheel and warm air intake really woke it up. More mods to come. It is a 14 year old Ford, some issues will be expected. It still needs an engine mount, and the A/C compressor clutch hub. A couple oil leaks, and warped brake rotors. And the driver's seat has little padding left. Fuel economy is average for a high output 6 cylinder in the city, but it goes up dramatically on the highway. I paid $3k for the car, and have already spent half that on improving it. It is very worth spending money on, because it is very rewarding to drive.

Love my '93
By jessiegirl on 05/25/07 18:14 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car with 55,000 miles on it. In 6 years I now have over 135,000 miles on it and other than replacing the valve cover gaskets, I haven't had any major problems. I actually get about 20 miles to the gallon in the city. Yea, hard to believe, but I do. I love it because it's roomy and big and I feel far safer driving it than one of those little foreign cars.

It has been very good to me
By joel on 01/22/07 10:53 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I have owned it for five years. Bought with 96,000 miles, it now has 146,000. I don't expect it to be as new, but it is the best $2600 I have ever spent. Had to replace one ball joint. The 3.0 doesn't have much power but it gets 30 mpg hwy and burns no oil. Also it has only a tiny amount of rust and it is a Wisconsin car. I should get a new car, but why? It owes me nothing and is extremely reliable.

Gets the job done
By Tuna on 12/13/06 00:33 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Have had my Taurus for over a year now and no major problems yet. I've beat the heck out of this car (taken it offroading, hit a good few curbs). It's slow and the acceleration is pretty mediocre at best and not to mention it's one of the ugliest cars on the road. But it takes a lot to kill one of these things. All my power windows and locks still work - radio still works fine. Wiper's are starting to short out and the one door won't open from the inside but that's about it. If you're very frugal and you need a car that will last then get a Taurus. If you want something good looking then buy anything else.

Listen Up Ford! Make the SHO again
By Flip's SHO on 08/15/06 12:42 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

I have owned my SHO for a little over 11 years now. I thought about trading it 4 years ago, but I could not bring myself into parting with it. It is so much better than the "sucked in sides" Taurus on the market now. Mine's a beat up old workhorse which I have admittedly abused of late, but my repair bill for last year was a little over $600 ($200 of which was for a couple of new tires). In fact the only major repairs I've experienced in all this time was a rebuilt transmission ($1600 at 130,000 miles) and a bottom end oil seal and water pump repair ($900 at 115,000 miles). I figure every month I keep this car is another car payment I put in my pocket. Fun to drive, hugs the curves and fast.

Wish they still made them!
By FDeMella on 06/14/06 05:55 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned, no driven! Awesome quick and handles great. I get almost 30 mpg highway. Interior is comfortable. Four doors made this car the perfect car for me; I can fit my family in it and still have a kicking sports car.

Disappointed by another FORD
By Disappointed on 05/24/06 07:31 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Worst car I ever owned, by far. I could have bought a brand new car with all the money I spent on repairs and every time I think this is it, what else can go wrong, mechanically this is now a new car. I drive the car lightly on open roads to work. I am fanatical on maintenance but this has not stopped the never ending repairs. Engine, transmission, water pump, alternator, fuel injectors, radiator, heater core, air conditioner, window motors, Every electric gizmo you can think of, the whole front suspension, whole braking system. I can't think of any mechanical or electric component that has not been replaced. Yet my wife loves it because its pretty. Arrgh!

Love My Taurus
By love my taurus on 05/11/06 10:01 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Taurus for almost 13 years and had no major mechanical problems with it until the past year with 146,000 miles on it. I love everything about this car from the trunk space to the seats, to the radio controls on the dashboard. I feel safe driving this car. I have been hit twice in it with no real damage (cracked bumper & hood damage). When the insurance company tried to total my car, I said nay and had it fixed for $200. I know I will cry buckets when this car in finally unfixable.

neat car, but watch out
By nathan on 04/22/06 14:23 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The ONLY reason you should buy an SHO is for the same reason I did. Because you think it's a cool car. That, and the performance are this car's redeeming features. You're gonna get lousy mileage (18-19 highway maybe). My SHO broke about once a month, usually the brakes. The brakes are absolutely ridiculous, and you probably won't have the trouble I did, but I'm changing pads and calipers every other weekend it feels like. Mileage is poor, and all the Ford parts pretty much fall apart, but the Yamaha engine is solid as a rock and you'll never have take a wrench to it. Transmission has been replaced and still doesn't work that well (I have the auto). I have 146,000 miles on it.

Get up and go with newer engine
By roadrunner6700 on 10/20/05 02:45 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Very good, reliable car. I've owned many cars but this is a tough car with the new engine.Tough also on impact; I accidentally ran into a brick house and when I backed out it had no body damage, except one small scratch on the hood. Very reliable and TOUGH.