Used 1993 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

16 years and counting
By fasteddie

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

We bought this wagon new, have used primarily for hauling kids back & forth to college, vacations, and moving furniture & appliances. Gets great fuel mileage, to 30 mpg on highway, is really roomy, has been very reliable, altho when we purchased it we got the extended 60k mile warranty and were glad we did (fuel pump, radiator, power steering). We will keep it till it falls apart, as this size of wagon no longer domestically produced. Very good in snow, mountains. We also own a '93 sedan we bought in '97, can't complain about that one either.

Favorite Features

Carrying capacity is ideal. Great gas mileage and reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should make more wagons. SUVs & minivans aren't the same.

not bad, had worse
By emc818

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1993 taurus gl in august 07 for $950. Immediately replaced all 3 motor mounts. The car leaks oil from somewhere on the passenger side and burns off the catalytic converter, hence the nickname Smokey. Also the temperature gauge has a mind of it's own, but has never overheated. Other than that, not a bad car. just basic a to b transportation. would NOT take it on a long trip, just doesn't seem THAT reliable.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats, smooth ride, modest acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Just give me something different.

Been very good to me
By TaurusMan

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I owned this wagon for 6 yrs and towed with it and took it on many trips. Besides regular maintenance the car performed admirably. I'm very impressed. When I sold it it had over 158K mi on it and still running strong with all systems working well. It's good in the snow too. I recommend the car for anyone looking for a fun to drive reliable car.

Favorite Features

Steady performance, towing capacity. Quiet and smooth running. I recommend the 3.0 liter engine. Better history.

Suggested Improvements

I never had to do the transmission but bad replacement desire. Chassis has to be removed to get at tranny.

Gets me from A to B
By cheap transport

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car free from my gramps a few years ago with only 50k miles on it. It now has 110k miles. Replaced the starter, and that's about it. The 3.0L doesn't have a lot of snort by today's standards, but it does just fine. And my ASE-certified mechanic says this engine is one of the better designs out there. He says stay away for the SHO 3.8L, it's prone to major issues, many of which require specialty tools and training to remedy. This has been a good commuter car. I wish it got better mileage though, 25- 26 mpg overall (mostly hwy miles). That's the price you pay for throttle- body FI instead of multi-port EFI though! Body seems to be holding up well against MN winters with salty roads.

Favorite Features

Reliable (so far), seats 6, and the awesome 1980's design really attracts the ladies...well, OK, not so much! The old-school design serves more as a theft-deterrent (bonus feature). Big trunk for a modest-sized car.

Suggested Improvements

I have the bench seat which is nice cuz it seats 3+3 passengers, but it is not the most comfortable seats. Had to get an after-market seat cushion on the driver's seat-back for added lumbar support. I wish it had ABS brakes, and a CD player would be nice, Barry Manilow on cassette is just wrong!

Nightmare on wheels
By my SHO

1993 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

When the car was running, it was a thing of beauty. Power, handling, looks even were great. Bought it used in 2001 with 76K miles. Broke down not two days after the 3 month warranty ran out, and then every 4 to 5 months after until the transmission went in June of '07. The starter and alternator were replaced too many times to count, along with various other recurring electrical problems, brakes, radiator, spent thousands more on repairs than was worth it. A regular maintenance schedule was no help.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, power, comfort were all top notch.

Suggested Improvements

Not be such a lemon? As much trouble as the car was, I will miss it.