Used 1993 Ford Taurus LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

The Good and the Ugly
By Worst Ford ever made

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

The 93 Taurus was a great car if you got the right one.. The right one was the cheap one, the GL without the 3.8ltr V6, if you got a cheap-o one with the 3.0 and the bench seats these cars were fantastic. I however didn't. I ended up getting a LX wagon, with the 3.8 and all the bells and whistles.. This was a mistake. The transmission was horrible, it would blow through torque converters at least one every 3 months, the electronics were GM 80's quality, where you would only have the AC in the rain, and the window switches would only work if you got them wet first. The Electric seats jammed and would not go forward unless you did the dog but drag on the seat to pull them forward. The stock radio was terrible, even by 1993 standards, the car had another feature that would auto lock the doors, even if you were in park, so if you got out of the car after starting it to warm it up, and closed the door, you had to break into your own car to get back into it. The engine had good torque, and the seats were comfortable, but the quality of the car.. the build quality was something that even Hyundai with an excel surpassed.. I eventually gave up after about 25-30 torque converters and months of loaner cars, and bought a 1999 corolla, which lasted close to 400K miles without a single issue.. The resale of a 1993 taurus in 1999 with 67K miles on it was 3500.00 Worst car ever!

A Car to sink your money into
By maycat

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

This was my first car I bought it for five thousand and had to put another ten thousand into the car to keep it on the road. It did survive several road trips but on the last trip a piston broke in the engine after I did a routine oil change. If you like repair bills this is the car for you.

The size of the car helped with several moves.

Computer died within thirteen years and the engine mount broke, front right spring collasped and maybe it needed more attention on the design.

No more Fords for me
By Penger5

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

when I picked my car up today my mechanic thanked me for buying a Taurus. He said that he would plan on seeing me again REAL soon! Now that I've found this site, I know I should count on the head-gasket going any minute so I guess my mechanic might be right: "Tauruses are money pits" It's leaving my posession shortly and, as I don't want to curse anyone else with it's disastrous heritage, I guess I'll sell it for scrap!

Comfortable driving. Room for the kids (they love the third seat)

Improved longevity Tranny and headgasket. Better cupholders...

Roomy but unreliable. Mechanic's dream.
By My mechanic loves me

1993 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

We bought this car when I was pregnant and hoped for a nice, reliable family vehicle. Its transmission seems to fall apart about once a year. Our mechanic (even though we're in a big city, he knows my voice on the phone) has just let us know that (for the third time) the transmission is going. We could've bought a new car with all the money we've put into payments and car repairs. We love the size of this car, but hate not daring to drive it anywhere. Now we still owe payments on a car we can't drive safely.

All the space... Everything fits in this car. It is very comfortable and roomy. It's a nice family car in terms of space.

We've been told this car is known for transmission problems. Wish we were told that before we made the mistake of buying it.