Used 2000 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

15 year review 243k miles XL 2.5L 4cyl 5-speed man
By NV_dave

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought new. Very simple vehicle with power steering, 5speed manual, but no A/C. Followed scheduled maintenance closely. Only 3 major repairs - replaced radiator ( cracked plastic connectors ), timing belt at 180k miles, and replaced clutch at 215k miles. 2.5 4cyl engine is still tight - burns no oil. Mileage on truck evenly divided between city, high speed freeway ( over the Sierras and Cascades mountains ) and 2 lane rural highways in the Sierras.
Gas mileage ranges from 20 to 22mpg in city
and 25 to 29mpg highways, with the best mpg on slower, smoother 2 lane highways.

Best features are the mechanical reliability, excellent visibility, 5 speed manual, and ease of entering and exiting the fairly room cab.

Worst features are the slow acceleration ( "C'mon truck!! Let's Go! ),
lack of proper hand brake ( the all-or-nothing parking brake is worthless for holding the truck in place when starting up steep hills ), and poor traction/control in snow and ice. In winter, I put on studded snow tire on all 4 wheels and load 500 lbs. of sand bags in the bed between the cab and rear axle (never put all the weight behind the rear axle - it will lift the front wheels ). The Ranger does OK on level or slight slopes, if driven with caution, but is "squirrelly" on steeper grades and curves due to its narrow stance, high center of gravity, and light front end.

I will note that although the little Ford Ranger was well worth the modest price I paid for it (great reliability, 5speed manual, ease of driving) it is now starting show its age. Specifically, there are minor but annoying electrical problems that are hard to diagnose and repair. The dome light often stays on after closing the doors tightly but when it will do so and how long it will stay lit is unpredictable - possibly a short due to frayed insulation. The same is true for the door ajar buzzer which also comes on at random times. Be aware that on older "modern" vehicles -ie. early 2000, that random electrical problems may be more of a problem than the more obvious problems of bad water pumps or dead alternators. Modern cars are now as much an electrical appliance as a mechanical device.

2000 Ford Ranger 2.5L 2WD
By Brian Duty

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had this truck for about 10 years, she had around 50k miles when I acquired her. She now has 200k miles and still runs like new. I'm not a Ford or Chevy or Dodge person, I firmly believe that how well you maintain a vehicle is far more important than who put the parts together. Sure I've done a lot of maintenance (fuel pump, timing belt, alternator, shackles and hangers) including all of the regular stuff (tires, regular oil changes), but that is to be expected. I would still feel comfortable driving this truck across the country, more so than most vehicles ten years newer. I've invested a lot of money into things such as premium audio with bluetooth and European smoke headlights and a brushguard just to make her feel new again and caught up with the times. I'm also a really big guy, tipping the scales at nearly 400 pounds, and I have tons of room in the driver's seat and the seatbelt fits with plenty to spare. She's hauled anything I've thrown at her, far more than she is rated for. Pulling a trailer results in a pretty slow speed since she only had 119hp from the factory, especially trying to go uphill, but she has never once overheated. I had a 2004 Durango Limited with the Magnum 5.7L V8, and I've had a 1987 Mustang 5.0, so I do miss the raw power those muscle engines bring, but this 2000 Ranger is my favorite vehicle that I have ever owned.

a good working truck...
By riva40

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truck since 2004 and never had any problems.
its good on gas and the ride is quite comfortable, highly recommended!

Love It!
By rgattic

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought is two years ago and so far so good! I get about 26 MPG (mostly highway miles on the 2.5L engine). I also use often for home improvement. I built a deck with it and have carried some heavy loads for my landscaping and the truck is holding up great!

Love the A/C in the summer time (it cools very fast). I am very surprised and impressed with the MPGs-26! This is a reliable truck.

Needs styling updates.

I like my Truck.
By Rich

2000 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 2000 Ford Ranger brand new. I currently have 139,000 miles on it. I have always changed my oil before I hit the 3000 mile mark. I have not any major problems. I tuned it it myself at 100,000 miles. I have had the cooling system flushed 2 times and the transmission flush 2 times as well. This is just maintenance items that I personally like to take care of. My front brakes lasted well over 100,000 miles and the rear drum brakes I changed at 105,000 miles. It is a great truck. I wash my engine every 2 months at the car wash (I cover the electric parts and so forth of course). My paint still looks nice, shiny and clean. Next time I will get the 4x4 for winter driving.

The reliability of the engine and components.

None really. As long as you take care of it, change the oil etc. and stick to the recommended maintenance schedule it will last!