one of the best trucks ever
By MIGHTY ranger on
1994 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB
This ranger could be the Johnny Cash of trucks - "its been everywhere". I have my own complaints about it - but given that all its owners have treated it really bad. I have the crazy 4 cylinder (8 plugs), I am on the 3rd transmission, 2nd clutch, second starter. all of which I robbed from $25 parts trucks found locally. I have hit deer, bridges, barns, small brush trees. I have hauled tons of everything - car parts, cars, and wood. And even though the fluid clutch leaks, I can count on it 100% - do not use ATF as suggested by Ford - it rots the seals, causing the input shaft to break at the best possible time (250 miles from home) LOVE THE MIGHT-Y RANGER.
Favorite Features
Built-in security system - you can't drive off with a truck that can't go into gear, and who wants to steal parts off this thing. Lots of fun - but don't take yourself serious, as it is slow.
Suggested Improvements
Rewrite the manual to say use light gear oil for manual trannys, and go back to the old fashioned line clutch. And please use 1 plug per cylinder. And normal oil capacity for a 4cylinder. I would like a tow winch to pull others out of ditches, and some metal tracks to drive out of mud.