Used 1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Never stops
By -stanky

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

So good. I love the power it has off the start, after popping into second you're gone. It's definitely the most comfortable ride, super smooth like butter.

Favorite Features

The powerful 4.0 V6. Bucket seats. Extended cab.

Suggested Improvements

Not so faulty A/C compressor. stronger bed, (dents easily)

Great truck, keeps on going
By Bill

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab STX 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in '94 and I used it every day for 10 years until I got a family minivan. I have towed concrete mixers, hauled scrap and lumber, use it weekly to carry stuff to the dump. I carried the kids in the extended cab (when they were little, not a lot of room there.) The truck never let me down and today I still have it (though it's semi-retired)and use it 3-4 times a month to go to the dump. It has 167,000 miles on it and now my daughter just got her lisense and she drives it daily to school and about. It still gets 22+MPG. Never did more than routine maint and replaced the clutch 2x. What a great investment in 1994!

Favorite Features

Hauls a lot for its size and never needs maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6'3", 220lbs so I'd like to see more cab height and firmer seats.

My Ranger in review
By Bruce

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I first took possession of my 1994 Ford Ranger XLT on 3/3/04. Overall, the truck has been quite reliable. In the almost 2 years I've had it, I have replaced the starter, idler pulley, fan belt, (broke when pulley seized), and rear leaf spring mounts. It currently has a power steering leak, and needs brakes, that's it. The total amount for all my repairs is about $300 over 2 years; not bad for an 11 year old truck.

Favorite Features

The 4 liter V6 and the 5 speed manual transmission provide plenty of pep on the highway, and I really enjoying driving it. The extended cab and bucket seats allow my taller passengers to stretch their legs, while a guy my size can still drive.

Suggested Improvements

The interior of the vehicle could be improved as follows: console between the seats, dual outlet defroster (mine is center output), and more lighter/power outlets. Exterior: tie downs in the bed (if any) are obscured by the bedliner.

Best I've ever owned
By Mountain Man

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. After 157,000 miles (mostly commuting), I've not had a single mechanical failure. My only expenses have been maintenance. I drove it on a 12 hour trip and it was as comfortable as any car I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

Reliable, economical.

If you live out of the city
By Hank Jr

1994 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I got this truck in Feb. '05 with 179,800 miles, after I got my license. I'm not really a truck person but it was the only thing my dad would let me drive for insurance purposes (the insurance is kinda cheap even with full coverage). After driving it a month I had to get the brakes checked; turns out it was nothing, no major problems. I worked at Six Flags which is about 20-30 minute drive from my house. With the 3.0 engine you don't get much pick up until 2nd gear. Not for long trip, after 4 hours of driving brakes smoke when stopped even if you don't use them that much.

Favorite Features

I really don't have a favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

More power in the engine, better fuel economy -- I only average 19 mpg.