Used 1996 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Most Helpful|
Lousy Car
By phil34209

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Convertible

Nothing but trouble, constant repairs including major ones, lousy ride, terrible fuel economy.

Favorite Features

exterior looks good

Suggested Improvements

change transmission, change complete suspension, better paint coating, etc...

Not Worth the Headaches
By WeaponX

1996 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

After many years of driving GM's I started looking at the Ford Mustang!! The Transmission Blew at 31,000,the Tire Rods also had to be replaced and It has No Power for a V8 Engine!! Needless to say I have Happily Sold this Car(after wasting over $2,000 in repairs) and I am VERY Dissapointed in a Car w/Less than 32,000 Miles on it and It Literally Needs a Complete Ovehaul!! I Would Never Buy a Ford Agian!!!!Reality wise I can't call it a Muscle/Sport car since it's True Competition is the Mitsubishi Eclipse!!! The Need to Go back to the Drawing board and Re-Invent their Engine and Transmisson to seriously be a Contender to Chevy's Monsters!!!

Favorite Features

Body Design is Awesome!!!

Suggested Improvements

Let Chevy Build the Engine for You!!!!

Mustang Gt Review
By Alex

1996 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

It's a fun car to own if you are handy with a tool box. I like the car but I don't trust Ford quality. Ford's use of plastic in critical engine parts is senseless. The intake manifold cracked (4.6L engine). The cheap use of plastic vacuum lines behind the dash. You have no leg room in the rear. It's an affordable sports car to own. It has plenty of power. There are plenty of aftermarket parts to keep your Mustang looking good. Be sure to get a good maintenance manual to save you money on the repairs.

Favorite Features

It drives great, and the rear bumpers can take a beating and hold their shape.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use plastic on the vacuum system. And use metal on the intake or any hot parts.

My FORD- "fix or repair daily"
By msnurse

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Overall, I thought I had made a great purchase until I passed 30k--when the warranty was no longer valid. At 32k the transmission blew apart --thanks to a defective converter (By the way, I don't drive like a maniac--and really take good care of my cars). Needless to say, I was out almost $2k. I have just been informed that my engine needs to be rebuilt at only 100k miles. After speaking with other Ford owners, this is a common problem. Very frustrating. I have been VERY disappointed with the repair costs and problems. This car is going to the junk yard this week. Can promise you that my next car will be anything but a Ford.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive when it actually ran-- which seems to not be often

Suggested Improvements

New engine design, new transmission design, new design team.... Better warranty. More complete service.

Think about it
By Dave Doorwood

1996 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new with 8 miles on it. @ 50 miles the tie-rod broke and it cost me $70.00 for a alignment (non warrenty) now the car has 118,324 miles on it and it has well over $6k in repairs..2 sets of Head-Gaskets, 1 Transmission, $800 in emissions work..Tires last about 40k miles and brakes last about 9k miles. dealership is unable to resolve front end problems and they have had it 6 times.

Favorite Features

Black Interior

Suggested Improvements

recall all the 95-96 3.8L engines for Head Gaskets