Used 2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great MPG, Reliable, lousy engineering
By piercejs4

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

The truck has not left me stranded. It's loud on the inside and something is always rattling, but it gets from A to B with 20 mpg. If you want to keep the check engine light off in this truck, it is going to be expensive. I am a DIY mechanic, which helps. The transmission isn't great for towing, but I knew that when I bought it. So far I have 85000 miles on the truck.

Simple tranny. No frills = not much to break.

lousy engineering eventually you will have to replace the intake manifold gaskets and isolator bolts in the upper plenum

Great Truck - Zero Problems
By Big D

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new for my son for school and work. He has over 140,000 miles on it now and not a single trip to the Service Dept except to change the fluids. Has exceeded all expectations. When they say Built Ford Tough, its true!

Durability. Ease if driving.

For the price and durability, can think of any.

Great Truck
By Many Klatch

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

My 6 cylinder F-150 has been a real workhorse. My last couple of Ford Rangers lasted 150,000 miles before I traded them in and the F-150 seems to be on the same track. I get 22 mpg in mixed city and hiway driving with the manual 5 speed if I keep my foot off the gas. The 6 cylinder has all the power I need to haul lots of weight on those occasions when I need to haul 1,500 pounds. I had to replace a broken overload spring and upgraded to a heavier set to handle the weight. The engine didn't have a problem with a full load. The acid test was that the engine hauled all that weight over the Pennsylvania Turnpike in cruise control with very few problems.

Tachometer and full instrumentation, AC controls (love the option for outside air on panel setting) 5 speed manual transmission

Need a place to dock my iPod. Need a better top on the padded box between the front seats, the top gets worn slick and feels sticky to a bare arm.

Favorite vehicle ever!
By Doug

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I got this truck mainly because of the looks and the deal I got. I couldn't be happier. Never a problem with it! Oh, the looks I get. I love the FX4 package. 4X4 works perfectly. Never been stuck in mud or snow. Takes off great and the brakes are the best. The best vehicle I ever had! I will never get rid of it, unless totaled. Then I'll have to get another one.

The way it looks and drives. It is very fun.

The only improvement is I don't like the Goodyear tires it came with. I upgraded to BF Goodrich.

Poor Man's Lightning
By Bodenis

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck mainly because of the body style and price. I wanted a inexpensive truck that still looked good. I have owned two Rangers and a 2001 SuperCrew and this truck is as nice as those were. This is the same body style as the SVT Lightning and I have lowered it and had the windows tinted and added 18 inch chrome wheels. It is a very sharp looking truck and and after being lowered handles great and is still functional as a daily driver and part time hauler. Cassette player was replaced with a CD unit so the only upgrade needed now is a dual exhaust and cold air intake. Rides great, looks good, didn't cost an arm and a leg; what more could you ask for!

Looks, price, aftermarket upgrades available, quality of build. This is the last year of a true flareside look, 2004's don't really have much of a flare, just a small indentation.

Not much to ask for, Ford offers just about anything you could ask for on their higher line trucks. I bought the base XL Sport for the value in price and looks; if I wanted more options I could have gone to the XLT versions of the Supercab or the Supercrew. I'm happy with this purchase.