Used 2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Lightning strikes twice
By John dulisse

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This truck gets a lot of attention at car shows. I have 92,000 miles on it and still this truck will rip the balls off these newer junk !

Worth the money
By mike champion

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Got truck as a one owner from ford dealership.(48,500 miles) Traded in for a car since they no longer farmed. former life was that of a gently used farm truck.(was in a accident at point.only know by the very clear headlights for a 12 yr old truck) not knowing how its maintenance past was spent a good bit doing all the things a 12 year old truck needed. regardless of of how much or little it was used.and a few issues that I knew about from my mechanics inspection.2200$+-2-300 wasn't to bad to get truck fully lined out.brakes,hoses ,all fluids and filters.and the only thing I considered a repair was replacement of the slave and master cylinder.replaced the clutch since they had it torn apart.while clutch was trouble free it still had 57,000 miles.the repair part was not overly painful on cost.and could be attributed to many factors.sitting for Last 3 years and not being driven and only run 15 min every 2 weeks.and probably a enough people not good with manual transmissions driving it. It runs great and using the cruise control I get 18-20 highway.the twisty hills of Missouri where I can't use it still solid 16-17mpg. with plenty of power.it hands and rides the dirt/gravel roads I drive to get to my favorite canoe launch and take outs. very smoothly. the interior is pretty plain but it fits my simple needs.
Lots of pros to this truck.maintenance and repair cost seem pretty good.reliability seems pretty solid as long as you do your part.throw in smooth ride&shifting .solid mpg plus good looks. I was looking for a cost friendly and reliable replacement for my other truck.(Mazda 2300 5spd 309,000 miles)I feel I got a good deal.
Cons simple interior and bench seats in vinyl.at least if you want something nicer. Tire replacement could be pretty high 16 rims and priced my tires at 200+ a price.but they are known to get 80,000+with regular rotation.and some parking spots don't work so well with the long wheel base.

Great MPG, Reliable, lousy engineering
By piercejs4

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

The truck has not left me stranded.
It's loud on the inside and something is always rattling, but it gets from A to B with 20 mpg.

If you want to keep the check engine light off in this truck, it is going to be expensive.
I am a DIY mechanic, which helps.

The transmission isn't great for towing, but I knew that when I bought it.

So far I have 85000 miles on the truck.

Simple tranny. No frills = not much to break.

lousy engineering eventually you will have to replace the intake manifold gaskets and isolator bolts in the upper plenum

Great Truck - Zero Problems
By Big D

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new for my son for school and work. He has over 140,000 miles on it now and not a single trip to the Service Dept except to change the fluids. Has exceeded all expectations. When they say Built Ford Tough, its true!

Durability. Ease if driving.

For the price and durability, can think of any.

Great Truck
By Many Klatch

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

My 6 cylinder F-150 has been a real workhorse. My last couple of Ford Rangers lasted 150,000 miles before I traded them in and the F-150 seems to be on the same track. I get 22 mpg in mixed city and hiway driving with the manual 5 speed if I keep my foot off the gas. The 6 cylinder has all the power I need to haul lots of weight on those occasions when I need to haul 1,500 pounds. I had to replace a broken overload spring and upgraded to a heavier set to handle the weight. The engine didn't have a problem with a full load. The acid test was that the engine hauled all that weight over the Pennsylvania Turnpike in cruise control with very few problems.

Tachometer and full instrumentation, AC controls (love the option for outside air on panel setting) 5 speed manual transmission

Need a place to dock my iPod. Need a better top on the padded box between the front seats, the top gets worn slick and feels sticky to a bare arm.