Used 1991 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great Truck
By Awesome truck

1991 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat 2dr Extended Cab LB

We've only had it for about 4 years but it has always been reliable. Will tow anything. The 5.0 v8 is powerful but drinks gas. Repairs are rare and are easy to fix.

Favorite Features

302 5.0 v8, long wheel base, comfortable ride. Towing capability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and the location of the sending units.

Heavy-Half
By the_suffering360

1991 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab LB

I recieved it from my grandfather when he passed away. I love this truck. It currently has around 69300 actual miles. It is a great truck. It has the 4.9 with the HD tranny out of the 350 and the same HD rear axle out of a srw 350. It was ordered like that and is not aftermarked mods. This thing is a torque beast. I put 30 by 9 inch BFGoodwrench allterrains on it at stock ride and I can go farther than my friends Jeeps and 4X4s and its rwd! I frequently haul 2000lbs+ in the bed and a 6000lbs+ trailer and it will handel it at any speed and it has 0 lag even fully loaded. #5 cylinder is shot though but still drives OK.

Favorite Features

Massive torque beast. Reasonable gas mileage for a truck. Durable as a block of solid steel. Goes anywhere. Comfortable as a new lazyboy.

Suggested Improvements

Better brake design and maybe rear disks. Better factory fuel pumps and guages. Cheap fender material rusts so easily. Bad gas mileage because of bad cylinder. More power

Good all around truck
By stephen

1991 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 1991 F150 Custom std. cab 2WD 4.9L L6. I drove it to school and back 5 years ago the only problems I have had was the water pump, heater core and replacing tires (me being a 17 yr old boy). I would definitely buy another truck like this, but I would like the 5.0. I suggest this truck to anyone. I had 155,000 miles on it when I bought it and it has been a great truck.

Favorite Features

Lots of torque, aux. gas tank. A/C

Suggested Improvements

Brakes heat up too quickly

Ford has what is takes
By Jeremy Pearce

1991 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this 91 F-150 about a year and a half ago with 166,000 miles on it. I have been so happy with it ever since. I live in Alaska and I'm out in the Bush (Wasilla/Willow) and I have done my fair share of off-roading with this truck, and it still runs and runs. I have not been too good to my truck but it has been very good to me. I now have over 177,800 miles on its powerful 300 inline 6. I don't even have a V8 and I'm loving the power that I get from this thing. It doesn't have the most HP in the world (145hp) but its torque is nice for a six cylinder (265 ft-lbs). I have never had the engine of transmisson rebuilt, or had any major work done. The owner before me also said he never had work done.

Favorite Features

The power is amazing and I love that I get better gas mileage than most trucks (because of my inline 6). I get about 18 miles to the gallon, when most of my buddies with their V8s get like 14. That is a big difference when gas is $2.80 a gallon.

Suggested Improvements

The ride quality could use a little work but its an older truck. I have found that with all the older trucks I've driven in the past. In comparison I have found the F-150 to have a much better ride.

Great Truck
By Carlos Venegas

1991 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great ride. Mine is going towards the 300k mile mark and the engine still has had no need for rebuilding. I will pretty soon because I plan on making drastic changes. Inline 6 engine is very good. Best Ford engine ever. It's a great truck. Treat your truck right, it will treat you right.

Favorite Features

The torque. The offroad capabilities.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel pumps go out quick. Seals break down as well.