2001 Ford Explorer Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer Sport model:
What a change
By Luis Pinzon on 11/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My daugther calls our best friend in Fl. Oscar my father lost his mind..- Oscar : What happened. Where is he. Tell me what is wrong... M. D. :He just purchased a Ford!! My surprise !! Exelent electronics.. I drive on and off road, tow a small trailer for an ATV.. Handles VG. I definitly try a newer model !! At the beginig gas was not so great... Rear bumper should be stronger.... More space to enter back seat...

Owned used for 1 & 1/2 years - fun
By NITH on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned for 18 months. It's been great to drive. Great for short camping trips. I've also driven it long distances with easy. It is a solid vehicle I don't ever have to worry about. Perfect vehicle for single or married w/o kids. CD Player is awesome. Backseat is hard for people to get into. DO NOT TOW WITH THIS VEHICLE! I towed a Mini Cooper on a full size trailer and burnt my brakes out. Quick and a great daily driver.

GOOD LOOKING TRUCK
By WELDON SIMMONS on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have not had the truck but a month, but like the looks of it. At times I wish I had of brought the 4 door due to the inconvenance of the back seat passanger. Additionally I hate the gas milage with a passion. All in all not a bad truck, and I say truck because thats what it rides like, a truck.

Creating a convert
By alkimther on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always been a Ford fan, but my husband was a Chevy fan. After my 93 Mustang finally started dying after 120,000 miles and through no fault of it's own he was changing his mind. After we got the Explorer Sport he has totally changed his mind and now loves Fords. It's my truck and I hardly even get to drive it. Being chauffered isn't so bad after all. We live in the country so we put ALOT of miles on our vehicles and we have had no major problems yet. Kim

Good and Bad
By meridian on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After 46000 miles and 3 years I have had to have over $1200 in repairs not to mention dumping a $1000 a year into it every year since I've had it. It just hasn't held up. While the exterior looks great, the engine is lacking, a lot of misfires and sluggish performance, and suspension problems now. It's a nice vehicle, the ride is fine, interior quality is ok, the build quality just hasn't held up well.

Love my Explorer Sport
By Matcheck on 03/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I puchased my 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4 in March, 2003 and I love it. A couple of minor fixes after the purchase - all covered by warranty, but otherwise a great vehicle. I've driven it from CT to NC and back twice now, and both times, the ride was comfortable. Perfect for a single mid-20s guy with no kids!

Not exactly what I thought
By natumbu on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Ford Explorer sport is a beauty to look at, fun to drive and I love my moonroof the most. But, with this being my first SUV purchase, I expected a more comfortable suspension. The only issue I have with my Explorer is the suspension on bumpy roads or expecially potholes. I think I would have research the other models more, to see if they provided a more comforatable suspension, but I just didn't want that big four-door version.

Bad Ball Joints
By Kathy Hoppes on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Ford in 6.5 years. I have spent several thousands of dollars for repairs that are a direct result of poor engineering on the part of Ford the first was a 95 mustang convertable v-6. I had to replace the head gaskets 3 times before I bought this explorer now I have had tons of recalls,bad ball joints and the transmission is slipping.All together I have spent 50000.00$ plus all the repairs and the 89 nissan I traded for the first Ford is still on the road. I guess everyone knows what my next car will be. Not a ford.

Great SUV with easy modifications
By mustang133 on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 3rd Explorer Sport. Lowered by 1.5" - front adjustable, rear blocks, Bilstein shocks and 275/60-17 tires improve handling 100%. 2.5" Flowmaster exhaust, K&N air filter and cool air intake and performance chip (ECU) increases HP to 250+ with 21-22 miles per gallon highway. These changes made the Explorer Sport an exceptional truck in handling and driveability, ride comfort and performance (faster than the V-8 Explorer). I've driven it to Florida and back to New York with 3 passengers and loaded, including a roof carrier. I'd much rather drive the Sport than my V-8 Crown Victoria on long trips now. Too bad, they stopped making it. Great truck.

Another Inpulse Buy Here...
By JasonBadExplorer on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well I bought this truck because honestly it looked great and I felt that I was getting a great deal for it. It's been consistent that every year I had to put in about $1k to get it passed inspection. I have had so many problems with this thing. Those sensors seem to go at the worse time and each convienently costs about 100 dollars to replace. I seem to find problems that even a Ford dealership has problems fixing. Now my car needs heavy negotiation with the gas pedal to start up cold. I've already spent 800 dollars at the dealership to get it resolved. They say it's fixed, but the very next day I have the same problem.