1998 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
Take it from a truck lover, this SUV is off the charts for ford
By thebbc on 04/17/13 09:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I brought a 1998 5.4L Eddie with 102,000 miles in Nov 2004. It's now Jan 2013 with 190,00 and this dam thing runs like its on steriods. Just got back from a 1,000 mile round trip with ease. Only problem in 9 years of ownership was an altenator replaced because I helped try to start someone's bmw and it damaged the unit. I look forward to another 75,000 miles (knock on wood) before I even consider sending it to the local car sales lot for retirement.

Ultimate Truck
By crushchevy on 01/17/13 19:35 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought the truck in febraury with 125,000 miles on it. Got the brakes fixed and windows resealed. So far this truck is great. It communtes me to and from school everyday, and has always started in the morning, even with -10 to -30 temps. I baby her, she doesn't pull trailers, and nobody drives her but me. I don't let anyone else start her either. It's quite fun to intimidate GM Ethuthusiants at my school, and I think Expeditions look WAYY better than Suburbans. Overall, definitly get this vehicle, you will not regret it.

ford expedition off road
By jorge9473 on 04/25/10 16:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

i have 7 years with my suv and im happy because is so powerfull and never stock in the mud,dunes and rocks. last 2 months i already install FOX RACING SHOX 3.0,BF GOODRICH MUD TERRAIN KM2 285/70/17 and EAGLE ALLOYS RIMS series 058 size 17.my truck is color gray,5.4,4x4,300hp,original paint,its like new i only espend 45dlls at week,have only 170000miles. i love ford

I'm a believer
By SpGator on 03/17/10 13:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my expedition in 2004 with 85k miles on the clock to pull my boat. It tows like a champ btw. I had never owned a domestic vehicle (past vehicles-Honda, Acura, Nissan, VW (crap), and back to Honda) so I wasn't expecting much of a vehicle. Oh boy has my perception changed with this SUV. It now has 110k on the clock and it still is extremely reliable. Only issues so far are normal wear and tear items. Heater core went bad around 100k, some corrosion, otherwise, it's been rock solid. I think I'll ride this thing into the ground hopefully at least another 150k miles later :)

Dependable
By Jean on 03/14/10 22:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I bought my expedition two years old in 2000. It had 26000 miles. I just traded it in March 2010. It had 196000 miles. I loved EVERYTHING about this truck except the gas consumption.

Built Ford Tough!
By charleston girl on 12/13/09 07:49 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have been driving my Expedition for 11 years. It has 146,000 miles on it. I haul kids and my 3 dogs in it. It is the best vehicle Ihave ever owned. It is time to replace it and I am more than likely going to get another one! I recommend this vehicle highly. It has been in the shop very little. No major repairs... Was hit in the rear with 4 kids in my car not one scratch on anyone. The vehicle is like a Mack Truck. Very solid and sturdy. I feel very safe in this vehicle.

my suv
By sarah on 10/22/09 17:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

My husband bought it for me for mothers day this year (09) and we love it so very much..Over 200,000 miles on her and still runs like a champ..With the exeption to the number 4 spark plug fouling. And it not being owner friendly on replacing it yourself..And its hard to find someone to fix it who doesnt want your first born for the price..lol..But other then the cost od up keep and crappy gas and the third row seat , love it and will get another when this one dies.Hope not for a few more years atleast.

Still Going Strong!
By Mary on 08/08/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Our Ford Expedition 1998 is still going strong with over 191,000 miles. We have taken it on many family road trip and in over ten years we have had few problems with it. We do regular oil changes and check ups but not through the dealer. We used a service station with a guy we trusted to do all repairs. Our interior is really starting to show its age but the exterior looks great with little rust. I would recommend anyone buying this truck especially one that doesn't have lots of miles on it. The only problem I had was a transmission station missing a crack in the drive shaft transmission collar due to the 1998 Expedition has the two piece not integral piece in the newer models. Mary

Tough and Reliable
By mepo2ner on 06/15/09 05:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought our Expedition used in 03 with 70,000 miles. It has been a fantastic vehicle for us. The versatility of taking eight people or hauling things has been great. It has just the 4.6 engine and I have put it though the mill. We haul a 5,500 lbs camper around each summer and I have a piano service business and move pianos all over the midwest in a 3,000 lbs enclosed trailer. This old girl now has 190,000 miles with no major breakdowns. It was our main family vehicle for 5 years and we couldn't have been happier with it.

Beastly Vehicle
By savage74012 on 04/16/09 15:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

I could not be more thrilled with this vehicle. I bought it a year ago and it has never failed me yet. the interior room is amazing, and the luxury suspension provides a perfect ride. The 5.4L V-8 engine is extremely powerful, making the vehicle surprisingly fast. If you throw your foot into it, be prepared to be thrown back into your seat. I tend to drive it rather rough, but it never fails me when i need it. haven't had the chance to tow anything with it yet, but I'm confident it could handle most anything. The Shifting is also exceptionally smooth. The gas mileage is poor (average 12MPG) but keep in mind that this isn't meant to be an economy vehicle. My only regret is not getting the 4WD