1997 Ford Expedition Consumer Review: 14 years of driving

1997 Ford Expedition - Consumer Review

Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

14 years of driving
By objr on

1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought her when my second son was born, traded in the 4 Runner. Towed the boat many miles and slept in the back camping many days. Snow, mud, rain did not slow her down. No major maintenance issues beyond a stuck shifter, compressor and alternator. Approaching 200,000, hot in winter, cold in summer. in a foot of snow and pulling a hill, nothing can stop her. I wanted to jump on the Obama $4,500 clunker deal but I couldn't bring myself to dumping her, they were going to seize her engine. It would be like putting my dog down, could not do it. I will drive her until she dies which will probably be around 280,000 to 300,000 miles.

Large cargo space and plenty of room for seating. Load leveling suspension is huge, heavy tongue weight is erased once you start her engine. A/C is amazing. I did a 800 mile trek this summer in 103 degree head pulling hills half the time, cabin stayed cool as did her engine.

That 3rd row seat could be a bit easier to use. It is heavy and awkward so you gotta be careful. Also, 3rd row has zero head rests. Not good if you get rear ended, heads will pop off. More powerful headlights would be nice, I drive in high beam full time now, never get flashed. With regular gas hitting $4.00 very soon my average of 13.5 MPG is a punch to the throat.