1997 Ford Expedition SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Expedition model:
417000 Miles and still Going!!!!!
By cedric626 on 08/04/13 06:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I have a 1997 Ford Expedition that I purchase in 2000. The only maintenance that I have had done to the engine is the sprark blugs and coil paks. I am repainting it and putting it back on the road after seating for a year. I am trying to find out what is the record for miles on this 4.6 engine.

333,000+ and still goin hard!
By chrischris71 on 01/01/13 21:19 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV

Bought this truck at 300,000 miles with a cracked radiator. Only real maintenance done to this truck is a new radiator, new alternator, one new coil pack, and some gaskets and seals. Before we started playing around with it it got about 17 city 20-25 highway. After putting a 2.5 inch suspension and 2.5 inch body lift its down to about 10 city and 15-17 highway. Mine is actually the 5.4L Triton V8. Soon the driver side A-frame will need replacing and the passenger side rotor needs to be replaced.

14 years of driving
By objr on 03/09/11 19:58 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought her when my second son was born, traded in the 4 Runner. Towed the boat many miles and slept in the back camping many days. Snow, mud, rain did not slow her down. No major maintenance issues beyond a stuck shifter, compressor and alternator. Approaching 200,000, hot in winter, cold in summer. in a foot of snow and pulling a hill, nothing can stop her. I wanted to jump on the Obama $4,500 clunker deal but I couldn't bring myself to dumping her, they were going to seize her engine. It would be like putting my dog down, could not do it. I will drive her until she dies which will probably be around 280,000 to 300,000 miles.

My Expedition
By innersouls on 09/01/10 06:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Expedition gets me 20 mpg on the freeway and still around 15 - 16 mpg in town. This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned

Better gas
By justin on 07/19/10 17:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my exp in June. I like it a lot. It has 220,000 miles in it it is a very good SUV. I like it a lot safe for my kids but I got spark plugs done. It gets good gas now like 16 miles a gal.

254,000+ Miles and it's still going!
By Not a Ford Guy on 06/10/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought our 1997 Expedition XLT 4x4 in 2000 with about 100K miles already on it. I was leery because the first year Exped had already developed a notorious reliability reputation, but the price was so good I couldn't resist. At the time it was a good looking truck (and still isn't bad, after all these years) and gas was "cheap." Well, we've broken 250K miles and have only sunk about $2500 in 10 years into actual repairs, not including "consumables" of course. The small 4.6 L V8, which underpowered for such a large vehicle, still holds its own and still gets 14+ MPG in mixed driving -- and EVERYTHING still works (all electrical, power, transmission, 4WD, etc)! Color me impressed!

The Big Blue Beast
By ZZebbeddiahh on 01/17/10 21:22 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned this truck for as long as I can remember, and it has only needed regular repair. The 5.4L could pull Chuck Norris in half if it had to. I tow snowmobiles every weekend for four months of every year in harsh MN winters, and I have done all of it in my 97. Nothing compares in power and comfort, and I would look to buy another one if this one dies

Update on our 1997 Expedition
By jessepatty on 12/21/09 20:02 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

I've written a review before on our Expedition and I shared it was getting close to 200K.. Well she finally went over the 200K mark and she's still a very reliable vehicle. I just want to share that with everyone.. This Expedition has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned... Thanks Ford! We appreciate not having to buy a new vehicle every couple years. Sure Saves us allot of money.

As good as you could get
By Jerry on 12/13/09 17:56 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD

Couldn't ask for more. Purchased in 1997 and felt like it helped raise the kids. The vehicle had heavy use. I used it plenty in 4 wheel drive in the snow in New Mexico. I pulled a boat for tens of thousands of miles in Texas and Oklahoma. I hauled kids daily and recently took to long distance weekly travel. It only failed to take me to my destination one time over 12.5 years and that was after it had 200,000 miles (the alternator failed.) At the risk of mixing metaphors, the truck ran "like a rock". Over 200k miles and major repairs were rare and related to "wear and tear" items - front-end, shocks, compressor. Going on 204,000 miles

Best "car" we ever owned!
By f in pa on 12/13/09 12:01 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Expedition SUV XLT 4dr SUV

First vehicle we ever purchased new. EXCELLENT performance; never had any problems except factory recalls for cruise control and torque on wheels - all taken care of at no cost. Comfortable, safe, and reliable. Even though gas mileage is approx. 14 mpg around town, get about 22 on the highway. Our old Toyota Camry got about 18 mpg around town - this truck beats it in storage, comfort, and safety! For a couple hundred dollars extra in fuel costs, it's cheap life insurance!! Will definitely purchase another Ford when this one wears out! But it's built so well - no squeaks or rattles - doubt it ever will. Oh, it's a 2WD with posi-traction and we pass 4WD's in the snow!