Used 2005 Ford Escape XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
Very Dependable!
By Fred Reno

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

165,600 miles with original brakes, shocks, clutch, and battery. This has been the most dependable car I have ever owned.....it drives as good as the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

Easy to remove back bottom seats. Nice clearance from the road. Generous back seat room. A very functional vehicle!

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that the noise level is unpleasant at highway speeds. If you are on the highway very much you may want to consider ear plugs. Otherwise I love the my Escape!

Crappy Sun Visor
By Wojo

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Although almost everything on my Escape Hybrid is great I have had problems with the sun visors since I bought it. On the driver's side, where I need it the most, it has come loose and had to be replaced about once every two years! As it is no longer under warranty it is about $100 to do this, which is in itself outrageous. Although I like the vehicle, if Ford can not fix this I will be looking into a different vehicle. I refuse to pay this for a problem that has been identified by many and not fixed.

Favorite Features

Pretty good gas mileage for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Recall and install better quality sun visors.

I love it
By Tom

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I drive my escape every day and I just love to get into it. The 5 speed transmission makes it more fun to drive and helps me control my gas mileage more. I drove from NY to Arizone and I was averaging 32 mpg.

Favorite Features

The rear hatch can open and the glass can open seperately than the hatch so that you do not have to open the door to put stuff in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Putting gas in sometimes is annoying, I do not know if it is just mine but you really have to fight it to get it actually filled.

Great SUV
By bill lee

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Looked far and wide for a 4 cyl/5 speed FWD. This is a great drivetrain. Have gotten 31 MPG several times. Overall I get 28+MPG on my mostly highway commute. Snow is no problem with FWD. I run good snow tires and have had no problems even in deep snow. Not as good as my old jeep but never got stuck. Get the 05 and up vs the 04 if you can. Much better interior design and the bigger 2.3 motor gives better performance and fuel milage. Looked at the Toyota and Honda, but were much more expensive and much smaller. My son is 6'3" and fits in the back with no problems. Also no $300-500 timing belt to worry about on these cars. Has been very reliable. 60,000 miles and no problems what so ever.

Favorite Features

The stick. Very roomy interior and outstanding MPG of a car this size

Suggested Improvements

The seats. They are pretty cheesey on the XLS with no up grade available. They remind me of seats out of a 70's 707 airplane.

Escape to Wherever you want
By rltotten

2005 Ford Escape SUV XLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Escape brand new. I take it up in the Colorado/New Mexico Mountains skiing and snowboarding. I love the space and gas mileage. 26 MPG avg have hit 28 mpg once. I wish this vehicle had daytime driving lights and better cup holders in the center console. The gas filing thing that others wrote about is true, Ford needs to change this design. I've flattened the rear seats and have hauled over a 1000 lbs of patio pavers at a time. This is a fun vehicle to drive and knock on wood I have had no major repairs to date. The seats do stain easy but also clean up just as easy. I would purchase another Escape no problem.

Favorite Features

6 pack CD changer, sit nice and high while driving, seats flatten nicely, 26 mpg

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in center console, daytime running lights, and fix the gas tank filling port.