Used 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape Hybrid model:

Great Decision!
By gman

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really enjoy the decision to buy a Hybrid Ford Escape. The overall quality is excellent. The piece of mind knowing that I can have great gas mileage, protecting the environment and also not send money over to the Middle East is worth every penny. I also enjoy the same benefits of a regular SUV concerning cargo space and overall flexibility. The only downside is the interior design, very simple (I can't believe there is not a holder for a cell phone!) Overall, very happy with the purchase.

Great Value
By HLS

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fun to drive. Handles well. Quick steering response. Adequate acceleration from a stop. Excellent acceleration for passing. Driving a lot of highway miles and still averaging 29. Have seen 33 in city driving. They could have done a better job on front seat creature comforts, i.e. cup holders, change holders and sun glass holder. Safety features were a consideration in buying. Road noise is a little loud but not terrible. Overall a great buy.

Improve the cup holders. Impossible to put 2 large drinks in them without keeping the arm rest open. Coin holder is worthless for anything but quarters.

First hybrid
By TeichRA

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The vehicle works as advertised. I find the mileage is a touch better than shown on the sticker.

Regenerative breaking.

The electric motor needs a bit more oomph off the line

1st American Car in 25 years and I'm Happy
By GuitarGuy

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the Escape for 2 weeks and it's performing as advertised. I got over 30mpg on the first tank of gas, and that will improve. The 15 minute MPG gauge has shown as high as 37mpg. If I were to complain about performance it would be the body roll when cornering, but this is a SUV with a high center of gravity and a little body roll is to be expected. The GPS/radio is disappointing. Small screen, and the CD changer is under the seat. Sound quality is average, and no iPod connection. It does otherwise work properly. If GPS/radio is important to you, might wait to see the 2008 upgrade. It wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but Ford could do better. Improve this and its a 10.

MPG; low pollution, large tax credit, solid feel; lots of storage; acceptable acceleration considering the engine size, and actually quick at start up; kind of fun to change your driving habits and watch the MPG increase, the real-time MPG gauge on the GPS will make you a better driver.

Dang Ford, for the price of the GPS/radio you could have done a lot better. For $1900, give us a Bose, an iPod connection, and a decent sized screen for the DVD based GPS. Nobody has an under seat CD changer anymore. Relatively simple things like this are what sells cars for the Japanese.

Lower then expected mpg
By Dave

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I liked the interior & exterior design and wanted to do the right 'green' thing so I spent the extra dollars on the 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid. Now I'm extremely disappointed with the 21 mpg city driving it provides. Certainly not the 33 mpg advertised. I drain the little 15 gallon tank in no time. It stinks.

The looks & 4X4.