Used 1999 Ford Contour SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Contour-svt - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Contour SVT

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (30 reviews )

A Classic
By Xtal

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Performance, handling, total driving experience. The Contour SVT excells in all categories. Last year I took mine to an autocross competition and even the instructors were amazed at how well this car performed. We ran it through a training course and it did so well on the skidpad that we had to force it to break-loose to demonstrate the throttle- steer technique. I have driven and owned performance cars since I began driving (1964) and this car is the best "out-of-the-box" performer I have owned.

Favorite Features

Great handling and power are smoothly integrated into a total performance package. You'd have to at least double the cost of the vehicle to get anything that compares.

Suggested Improvements

The SVT is nicely appointed and "dressed-up" but untimately, it is based on a Contour and so it doesn't have the amenities avaviable on the more-upscale cars. On the other hand, that's why this car originally sold for about $20,000.

My SVT, fair and experienced.
By Ramon Marrero

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

My SVT Contour really has been an excellent car ever since I first bought it. I saw it in an auto locater mag. It had 44,000 miles, black w/ tan interior, and I stopped my car shopping instantly. My '99 Ford is not my daily driver so it doesn't get too many miles on it a year. I do however show it at local car shows and plan for a national event this year. It is definitly not a "trailer queen" though. I love to drive it! The car has great throttle response and power for most people to enjoy, and the motor sounds great when you give it what it seems to love...to go faster. It is no longer stock after over $5000 invested in performance and style upgrades and it's better!

Favorite Features

Favorite feature is the way the car makes me feel. It really is a great, fun to drive, Americsn sporty sedan that I continue to improve with the end goal of having a race car spec SVT Contour.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic looking interior parts in the SVT. All wheel drive, six speed tranny

Don't Buy One
By Anthony

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for about a year now, I paid $3750, since I got it I have had to put nearly $3000 in to it. I had to replace the motor before 100,000 miles, pathetic. Ford, fix of repair daily, has become very true with this Ford. I won't touch a Ford in years to come. If you like money don't buy one, because if you do you will not have any money left. I don't have any money left and it's in the shop for the second time this week. Please spare yourselves the headache.

Favorite Features

When it runs

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Good value for midsize sports sedan
By Johnny Tech

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I enjoy driving this car. Excellent smooth performer. Great performance sound. While not super quick off the line it does pull strong across the entire power band and I've had the car at high speeds and it is smooth and tight. I've had to replace the sunroof motor in the short time I've owned it and the gas mileage leaves something to be desired (less then 20 mpg). Little rear leg room for the kids and the interior placement of the cupholders or interior storage isn't that great but hey, this is a driver's car. I have fun with it and it holds its own against other sports sedans like BMWs and you can get it for a fraction of the cost.

Favorite Features

Exhaust and motor tone during acceleration. The feel and performance. Sleeper look.

Suggested Improvements

Supercharger. Sunroof motor is porly designed.Some of the exterior body kit and trim is cheesy plastic. Poor rear legroom, cupholders and cabin storage limited and poorly placed / designed.

Euro car feel
By Kenny

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Very European feel for an American car. Especially the handling.

Favorite Features

Handling, exhaust note.

Suggested Improvements

Interior looks cheap. Reliability.