1999 Ford Contour SVT - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (0 review )
SVT CONTOUR, AHEAD OF ITS TIME
By Albert on 06/08/06 07:47 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

A true sports sedan! Although this car does not have the horsepower of some of the post "Fast and Furious" cars you see on the road today it sure moves. Honestly, after almost seven years of ownership it is even more fun to drive now than the day I bought it, can you ask for anything more out of a car?

Fun with problems
By Erik on 04/26/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

You would do well to avoid any of these vehicles with a "clicking" noise coming from under the hood. This is what mine had and due to the same sound occurring on my previous car without any problems, this did not trouble me. About 3 months after purchasing the vehicle, there was a sound similar to that made when grounding a vehicle after a particularly high speed turn, then there was a severe loss of power. This turned out to be a dead motor ... which ended up costing more than the original price of the vehicle. Do not buy this vehicle unless it has a complete maintenance history with every possible thing that could go wrong being fixed prior to buying.

Still Running Strong
By Perry on 11/30/05 00:32 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I had a blast test driving this car. I started out driving Neons etc. But this car was a kick in the pants. Most people can't believe it's a Contour. They think its a Mitsubithingamagiggy. Now I have 108,000. With zero problems. Mileage is 27-28 a gallon. I do have clunking noise coming from the front end, when I take off. Strut? Nice car for the price.

Very fun sedan
By jgcops on 05/04/05 14:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

The CSVT is a sedan that rivals the BMW 3 series. Maybe not in build quality or status, but in performance, handling, and fun to drive. I never feel squirrely or unstable at highway speeds and because of the stopping ability I haven't needed a body shop yet. The torque is incredible and doesn't even compare to a Honda Accord or Civic. Overall this is a fun car to drive and a great deal when compared to imports.

I love driving a Clark Kent car
By kent tager on 02/14/05 14:09 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 16,000 miles on it. It now just turned 50k. Though I have not owned that many cars, this is the best I have had yet; better than my '89 Legend. Handles great, good performance, reasonably comfortable and the seats are great. Had one major electrical problem that was luckily covered under the warranty. No other major problems to speak of. If you can find one that has been well cared for it would be strongly worth considering. They are very practical and yet lots of fun. Thank goodness for the fold down rear seats.

Too Much Fixing
By Pat Heinl on 11/04/04 01:35 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for about 3 month now; in those 3 months, I had to fix: window motor ($100), wheel bearing ($60), shifter cable (tree, changed by the dealership), and get a new transmission ($1800), I'ts a VERY fun car to drive, but a lot get broken all the time.

Better than my accords!
By SVT4STEVE on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

too bad theyre all gone, except in Europe of course. I love this car and plan to keep it a loong time. theyre a steal for the money!

Great Sedan
By J Frazier on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

One of the greatest sedans Ford has ever made.Handles very well and can keep up and beat many sport coupes.Good gas mileage on the highway and around town.Have 72,000 and runs great even past 100mph.

Another Ford leaves its' stain
By MotherBelgium on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Well after the dash warped and the dealership tried to charge us $700 to repair it knowing there was a recall, the car basically self destructed over time. Here's what happened: tranny replaced 3 times by Ford and Amco w/in 10K miles- Ford tech admits there are weaknesses about the tranny (cost: $5,800 +/-). Leaky trunk, feable brakes, cheapish interior, very poor paint, moisture in headlight assem., body panels poorly fixed to vehicle, and strange "courting call" from intake when warming up. Leather fades in sun, bushings replaced at 55K miles and bumped sags.

Very Good and fun to drive
By aicosio on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

The SVT Contour's shock valving was designed to work in conjunction with the bigger tires, with better handling numbers being claimed on both the slalom and skidpad. We know that SVT deemed the changes important enough to make. I think it is a veri good car.