1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aerostar model:
Best Car I've ever had!
By mikehs2 on 09/25/11 00:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan 3dr Cargo Minivan

It's a Mini Van, but I say car. To bad Ford doesn't have the foresight, or hindsight to keep building these. I guess they last too long, and are just too reliable to be manufactured by an American Car company. Very Efficient, Very Comfortable, and extremely reliable. It's the greatest and most versatile vehicle I've ever owned. Bigger than other mini-vans. It's a car. No, it's a van. Wait it's a truck. It's just a great, great vehicle. No matter what you're planning on buying, check out at least one good condition Aerostar.

Why don't they build this again?
By PennsyNut on 04/13/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Bought new. Excellent mpg/20+ avg for 12 yrs. Lot's of rattles. Huge space. I'm 6'5" and have no problem getting in or out, excellent driving position. A/C's still work fine. Parts are getting harder to find. Great on highway at less than 70. More, like 80, and get excessive wind noise. But for normal driving around town and up to 65 mph or so, is absolutely great. Starts every time. Would buy a new one if it were available.

Good Vehicle
By Adrian68 on 03/29/09 14:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

My van has been a blessing to me as I am disabled and it was given with an electric lift. The only problem is I think Ford was stingy on the gas pedal and wish I could get closer to the pedals. I would also wish that the seat belts were made for shorter persons. It's a little hard getting into the front seat from the back area where I keep my electric wheelchair especially when I broke my left ankle. The back seat is difficult to take out when we need more room. On the whole I am very happy with the van just wish the lift could have been put in the back rather than the side as parking can be a problem. I give it a high rating.

People Mover
By bnawrocki on 01/06/09 22:59 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

Sturdy vehicle. Large V6 is a must. Dual A/C is a must on EXT. Very durable. After 130,000 miles steering was tighter than Chevy sedan and Yukon. Comfortably seats 7 Adults. Ext Allows luggage room for our 6 person family and cooler etc.

Best Van Made
By Warren on 09/02/08 09:15 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

This is my second Aerostar, 1st on had 250k. These are perfect if you need something with a lot of room that can go from a work van to a family van. They are extremely reliable. They are not stylish and today's vans have a lot more amenities. I had a Windstar that I had leased and planned to replace the Aerostar with, but the Aero is a much better van. The best part is they are so cheap to purchase. I will keep this van for as long as it will go.

Best work horse van ever
By Bob on 08/24/08 18:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Ext Minivan

I have over 178,000 miles on ours and it still runs and drives great. Never a problem and the AC both front and back still work like new. We got it used and i have never had to fix anything on it. Used up two sets of tires. This is one amazing van. It just keeps going and going we love it. Best van I have ever had and I have had vans all my life.

1997 Aerostar has been good to me
By MrT on 06/30/08 13:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

The Aerostar has been a solid performer for me. I bought new and was worried initially about things like the air conditioning and automatic transmission. Thus far after 11 years neither has caused me problems. The worst problems have been sensor-related. Two sensors replaced at fairly high costs. Also the electrics through the steering wheel have been iffy (intermittently working but generally fine). Brake wear has been reasonable and I've enjoyed owning the vehicle.

Basic and Reliable
By Bill on 04/15/08 11:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

Second owner for almost six years now. Great basic van. A/C still works and has original exhaust (except flex pipe) after 10 years and 106000 miles. Just replaced rear springs that broke and four new shocks. Rides so nice now. Outer tie rod ends too. Upper ball joint on the passenger side and thats it. Still see many on the road. Replaced the original battery just a year ago. No rust, runs great.

My Aerostar
By ed on 11/29/07 09:44 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

i purchased my Aerostar used. It's been to Cleveland and back about four times. All non stop driving at about 70 mph. Only stopped for gas. The body has dings and scratches but no rust. I love this little van and so the mechanics I take it to one actualy wants to buy it from me. I will never sell it though. It's got its little quirks but what auto doesn't.

Build It and They Will Buy!
By MOES on 04/01/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Aerostar Minivan XLT 3dr Minivan

Third one I have owned. Love it. Lots of room to haul 5 hockey players and their equipment. Great ride, lots of room, no major problems. I have 146,000 miles on mine, does not use oil, gets 19 miles per gallon in town and 22 on the road. I take my 18' lund boat fish all over, no trouble in and out of water. Back seats lay flat for soft camping bed. Does not feel like a mini van more like truck. Took back seatout and hauled sofa, 2 chairs, coffee table and 2 end tables. I have hauled several 4 X 8 sheets of plywood with the hatch closed. I you see one with low mileage let me know!!