Used 2012 FIAT 500 Pop Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Very Unhappy
By veryunhappy52

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving at a speed of 55 mph when without any warning my car shut off. Thank God I or someone else was not hurt. My fiat is a 2012 with 53000 miles on it. The only thing Ive had to do is replace both brake lights at the same time and a headlight. When the car died, I could not get my key out of the ignition nor could I get the car out of gear. It had totally locked up. Just called the dealership and the car wont even communicated with the computer to find out whats wrong. Sounds expensive to me.

Favorite Features

Right now, I cant think of any.

Suggested Improvements

from what I have read, Fiat has alot of issues with the motor that needs to be addressed.

Baja Life
By bajatexan

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Fiat 500C (automatic) new in Aug 2012. To date, I have put almost 60,000 miles on it. I would drive 90 miles each way to work from Baja to San Diego on a daily basis. The exterior has held up extremely well and I have had no mechanical issues! The interior looks inexpensive but has held up well. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

They could improve the quality of the interior

FANTASTIC VEHICLE!
By bjv1440

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

First I have to say that my vehicle is an automatic; NOT a 5 speed manual. I'm not sure why there is no option for this model on the drop down. My wife drove a rental one to AZ and feel in Love with it! I surprised her with a gift of this one and she has put about 30,000 miles on it in the last year. She averages 42 mpg combined! On a recent trip I drove and we encountered some terrible weather outside of Wendover, NV. The POP drove right through the Heavy Wind and was NOT blown around when passing semis! This vehicle has TONS of room inside for being so small on the outside. Five people can fit comfortably for a trip! Way to go FiatChrysler!

Favorite Features

Can't think of Anything that isn't done well!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of!

Sad to have raved about it
By carreview5

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I bought this car I was really excited and raved about it to all my friends. I expected nothing but great things from this little car and really started saving a lot of money in Gasoline purchases. (Was getting 42+ MPG by driving reasonably and not being aggressive with it, itÂ’s not a racer) 27,000 miles into it, the clutch failed (in rush hour traffic no less) and Fiat claims that it was just worn out. All calls for Customer Service ended in no help what-so-ever. Fiat is not ready to return to the American car market. Do not purchase this car. The clutch replacement at the studio costs 10 percent of the price of the car.

Favorite Features

It was Blue

Suggested Improvements

Check out the NHTSA website. 6 of 41 (at the time of this writing) safety complaints are the clutch failing in traffic.

Glad to be rid of it!!
By hatethefiat

2012 FIAT 500 Hatchback Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in august of 2012. RED, inside and out. I fell in love with the look. Bad idea. As soon as I took in on the highway the first time, the ABS sensor fell off. Then as soon as it spent one night in a snow bank), shocks were noisy. I can't remember how many garage visits, but they were never able to fix it. Then, the transmission failed, I was unable to press the clutch pedal. then again this winter, the same issue with the shocks after another night in the snowbank. Avoid this car at all costs. Dealer as well as Fiat Canada were extremely unhelpful too. Thank god another dealer was a lot more helpful. Got rid of the thing last week and bought a Toyota.

Favorite Features

Design.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and Reliability of all types of components. Dealer and FIAT responsiveness to issues. Better yet, just don't sell this car anymore.