Used 1997 Dodge Ram Van Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Van model:

Some problems but
By Msmary

1997 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3dr Van

We purchased the van new in 1997. It had been a good running vehicle other than every 3-4 years we had to replace the water pump. Pump cost 100 buck putting it in was 400. We never had a brake job until 2007. Took it in and the brakes fell off in the guys hand. But with the van at almost 150,000 miles, we are having more problems. I have already put in over $1000 into it and now the transmission is going out. They (mech) told me the brakes are going bad again also. I've also notice it getting a bad oil leak now. But for 13 years she served her purpose. Overall, it was a nice family vehicle. If I had to do it over again. Dodge...yes

Nice space and seat were very comfortable for a family of 6.

Don't know why the water pump kept going out. Side mirror where put on cheaply, they would move freely.

Great work truck
By Phone Man

1997 Dodge Ram Van 3500 Maxi 3dr Ext Van

Just want to say this has been a good van for our company bought with around 100k currently has 232k still on original engine 5.9 with overdrive. Van hauls all our equipment well with room to spare, pulls trailer fair. Just been a good reliable rig.

Good power and reliable still take 300- 500 mile a day trips with no problems. Engines are smooth and sound great with custom exhaust!

Factory seats can be improved, dash is dated but works. The interior is loud from road noise needs extra sound deadner to help.

Clifford, The Big Red Dodge
By Mike

1997 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3dr Ext Van

To set the record straight I bought my 1997 Dodge B1500 from a private party for $300 when the vehicle is worth $2500. It is a conversion van made by Primetime and I fell in love with it as soon as I drove it, though it stalled from a dry gas tank and the serpentine belt snapped, I felt like I had to have it. It is reliable for it has a small block v-8 and my father and I were shocked to see it still running strong with the work it needed and how bad the oil in it was. I.E. in severe need of a tune up and brakes. It still needs a bit of work but it preforms great! Gas economy is good too: 17-21, no lie! It is my first car and I love it greatly!

Because it is a conversion I must say the seats and its engine. You should see the look of the guys on the freeway, in their sports cars and they're passed by a full sized van. It has great take off too!

Leg room for the passenger and the mirrors. This is pre-1998 so the mirrors have a common problem of an O- Ring disintegrating and causing the mirrors to come loose and move at free will. Also, the dash is like being teleported to 1971, it's all flat.

Nice Van for the Money
By Scott

1997 Dodge Ram Van 2500 3dr Van

I leased this van as a used conversion van from the dealer in '99 with 20,000 miles on it. We have taken it on 2 trips to Florida and 1 to Green Bay Wisconsin from NY. It has been very reliable with the 3.9 V6 and 3 speed auto tranny. The ride in higher wind gusts is much better than that of the Ford or Chevy. Most who drive a full sized van probably have been blown all over the road, but this van is much more stable.

I love the ride.

Better seats would be the only improvement I could suggest but I think these were chosen by the conversion company. The captain's chairs could be a little more supportive in the lumbar area

i miss this van
By JLJones

1997 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3dr Van

I purchased this van 1 year old used, a former fleet van. I have owned a 1991 dodge van previously. 1997 van had 3.9l v6 and 3-speed automatic trans. drivetrain not high on power but reliable and the transmisson worked well only problems were a cracked catalyst caused by using bosch platnum plus-4 spark plugs. ran this van overloaded most of the time and regularly exceeded tow rating bu 1500-2000 lbs van held up well to 3-years of my abuse then i traded it for a new 2001 dodge van. my 1997 sold to a friend of mine had 56,000 miles at trade now has 130,000 with no trouble while my 2001 van has been a nightmare 38,000miles 3 sets brakes weak 318 v8 and terrible tranny, eats rear tires, leaks, junk. will buy a ford van next time

1997 dodge ram van the old 1978 dash design, 3.9v6 3speed pulls as good as my 2001 5.2v 8 both 3.55 gear, old 777 3-speed auto rock solid reliable

dodge B- series vans have been around a long time since 1971, it id time to retire this design. i have noticed a decline in quality since the mercedes merger and the new sprinter van is too expensive and thin skinned.