1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Adored this car
By AEpixie7 on 08/14/10 19:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents purchased this car when I was in middle school, and passed it down to me as my first car. We live in an area of heavy snow at times, and I swear this car has gotten me through 2 to 3 foot snow drifts without a problem. It now has 210,000 miles on it, has been in 2 wrecks, but it still runs EXTREMELY well. Very reliable and great in extreme weather. I will sincerely miss it when the time comes.

Ball joint blues
By Ball joint blues on 05/31/10 21:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango used, had it checked out by my mechanic and then took it on a long trip. (OK, I know, that was dumb). When I went to get the alignment done, they said they couldn't do it because of bad ball joints. It was covered under warranty AND so was the next set 10K miles later. Last summer I had to replace the ball joints again. It has a nice inside but my power windows gave out around 130k miles. I drove it to 202K miles and the 4WD has gone out. I kept very good maintenance on it but stuff has just starting going. The front bumper is rusting.

Best SUV
By Rob on 07/30/09 03:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned three Dodge Durangos and they have always been dependable and fun to drive. My 98 Durango has 237,000 miles on it. I do not plan on getting rid of it any time soon. I own a 2008 Dodge Durango also and love both of them.

gas guzzler
By kyle c on 02/09/09 06:20 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

it was ok, until the breaks squeaked after 3 weeks. but the gas is ridiculous. i dont go far without visiting a gas station so if u want to save money dont buy this car.

By far the best vehicle I have ever owned
By Sandy Sherman on 03/23/05 00:49 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

We have a 1998 Dodge Durango and it is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned. It fits the whole family comfortably and best of all, we have not had one thing wrong with it. We love our Durango.

Best SUV Ever
By Jeff Piotrowskiq on 02/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I leased my Durango as soon as they came out. It has been an excellent vehicle. In 75,000 miles of driving, I have only had it in the shop twice for any significant repairs (Manifikd gasket, coolant temp sensor). The tires lasted over 50,000 miles. The truck still looks like new!!! I am also one of the few that have actually taken their SUV off-road. The truck was amazing, pulling through mud up to the door handles!!!! What a truck!!! Some day I would love to buy an R/T.

bad luck with the durango
By tara mcGahey on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My car has been one big headache. I have pages and pages of repair and repeated repair bills.

bad rear end
By oc dd on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Does this sound familar. Great looker, nice features, had to have it when I saw it. 58K miles later I get 10.2 gallons per mile, the AC evaporator replaced twice under warranty and once by me. Now it needs a new rear end! My mechanic says it is quite common! It still looks good (other than rust on bottom of window frames).

Durango blues
By Durango dud on 08/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Things that go wrong in less than 50,000 Front tie rods replacead at 44,000 miles transmission speed sensor replaces at 42000miles fuel sensor replced at 39,000 now rear bearing is going and needs replced at 53,000miles

Why I like Durango
By McInnes on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Looks solid, but rides too bouncy.