Used 1998 Dodge Durango SUV Consumer Reviews - 95 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Durango SUV

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

221000 miles on her same motor and tranny
By david

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my 1998 dodge Durango 5.2 L at 20,000 miles on it first it was the only car me and the wife had so we had to be really nice to it then we raised six kids with it then we got a expedition el and the Durango had 100,000 miles at this time it became all mine I have a very heavy foot I treated it like a hot rod now for four years and 120,000 miles and still has the same engine,tranny,rear end,transfer case and front end and POWER that it did the day I got it takes snow rain mud very well I would never get rid of her I have money set aside just for her if anything ever did go wrong she WILL be fixed we have five cars and this is my go to ride for work or play the only bad thing is with me is I replace tires a lot (heavy foot)

Will drive it until death ... me, not the Dodge ;)
By the Reece's

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

Fuel mileage is what you'd expect out of an SUV - but still better than our conversion van and pickup. The driver's seat is electronically adjustable and IMO the most comfortable seat in it. We have 8 children, and are daily lifting, folding, readjusting the seats - and it still performs like a beast. West Virginia treacherous mountains, muddy rut filled roads and deep snows - never a problem...except sometimes my driving LOL
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Durango. It's body will never go out of style. Like any vehicle, there will be maintenance. Old things wear out, and have to be tended to or occasionally replaced. I plant to drive this thing until death - mine, not hers. I'm convinced she will live forever.

Adored this car
By AEpixie7

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents purchased this car when I was in middle school, and passed it down to me as my first car. We live in an area of heavy snow at times, and I swear this car has gotten me through 2 to 3 foot snow drifts without a problem. It now has 210,000 miles on it, has been in 2 wrecks, but it still runs EXTREMELY well. Very reliable and great in extreme weather. I will sincerely miss it when the time comes.

High ground clearance in the snow, great on wet or dirt roads, reliable, and very stylish, compared to other SUVs. Also, great interior options and sound system.

Obviously, with any large SUV, fuel economy is a problem. However, a lot of large SUVs these days require premium, and the Durango has always run well on midgrade.

Ball joint blues
By Ball joint blues

1998 Dodge Durango SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Durango used, had it checked out by my mechanic and then took it on a long trip. (OK, I know, that was dumb). When I went to get the alignment done, they said they couldn't do it because of bad ball joints. It was covered under warranty AND so was the next set 10K miles later. Last summer I had to replace the ball joints again. It has a nice inside but my power windows gave out around 130k miles. I drove it to 202K miles and the 4WD has gone out. I kept very good maintenance on it but stuff has just starting going. The front bumper is rusting.

How the seats fold down. This was huge in 1998. The leather seats are comfortable but it is LOUD inside.

Ball joints. Gas mileage.

Me and my Durango
By Gigi

1998 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4dr SUV 4WD

I was the first owner and with a little help on the gas mileage, I would never give it up. Body still good, interior quality was very good after all the years and the people no real wear and tear to speak of. Drives like a car and makes me feel safe. Stereo needs to be changed but...

Just the whole car. I really love it.

Mileage. Oh and I do have a bit of an issue with the wall mirrors:)