Used 2007 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

excessive oil consumption
By jjohn22

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Around 36000 miles I noticed our suburban started consuming 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. Over the past 2 years I have had the dealership try various "fixes" but it still consumes oil. This is becoming a trend with the '07 suburban as others are experiencing the same problem. My vehicle will be at the dealership for a week for the next round of exploratory surgery on the engine. Hopefully they can find a fix as I am running out of powertrain warranty in a few months. The first 2 years with this vehicle we had repeated electrical problems with battery discharge. GM found a fix for that.

Favorite Features

We bought this model for our family vehicle because of its generous size and comfort on trips.

Suggested Improvements

Major problem with oil consumption and electrical problems causing repeated battery discharge. To date there has been no GM fix for the oil consumption. It will be back at the dealership next week for the 3rd round of tearing down the engine. For all this effort it would have been more cost effective to just replace the engine. GM customer service is not much help...they call every few days to ask "is it fixed yet?" They act more as customer pacifiers than problem solvers.

Love Hate Relationship
By FirstSUV

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this big SUV for our big family, and having that much space is great. But when things keep breaking down, breaking off, and breaking in general, all of the things you've always heard about Chevy's becomes true. Oil sensors, transmission -- what's next? That being said, it is fun to drive and looks really nice. Not sure that makes it worth all of the headache.

Replaced 2005 Durango
By Clint

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Ready to leave on 3K mile trip from Saskatchewan Canada to Disneyland California pulling a 33 foot camper and our Hemi Durango wouldn't start and dealer had no idea how to fix. Found the Burb (5.3L, LTZ, AWD) and it was awesome. Little less power than Hemi but better in everything else. Wife and 3 kids loved it. Added 1 qt oil in 3K miles, running Mobil 1 synthetic. Drove through cold and extreme heat, pouring rain, and wind with no problems. Very impressed overall. Better mileage then the Hemi and larger gas tank much appreciated as some stretches with minimal fuel service. But really, it is a full size vehicle, so who cares about mileage.Get a crossover if you want mileage.

Favorite Features

Size and space, rear DVD,comfortable leather seats, smooth ride, power everything(incl. gate, 2nd row seats), XM radio, great A/C with dual zone climate control, 2nd row seat heaters, park sensors, rear A/C, rear gate window opens separately, rain-sensing wipers,

Suggested Improvements

Little more power. Unforgiving cruise control tried to over-rev to keep speed. Fold flat 3rd row seats. Son in back said bench seat in 3rd row instead of cup holders space and add seat heaters. 3rd row DVD screen. Seat belt tensioners are too touchy.

GM better do something!
By Jadotima

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I've been a loyal GM guy for over 20 years. That I believe is coming to an end. This Suburban is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I have a 2003 Gmc Extended Cab with 225,00 miles on it never once has it burned a drop of oil. I would drive it to the moon and back before I would even consider driving this 2007 Suburban 300 miles. Unbelievable, You cant even touch the 4wd control so hot, I held my hand on there for 3 seconds. Get a shock every time you step out of the Truck to add oil. Just makes me sick. I think FORD is calling my name. Never thought I'd say that. GM can have this Suburban back, or fix the problem NOW!!

Favorite Features

The room, the ride, just overall a very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the trailer hitch, raise the front end, there is no clearance, my minivan has more clearance. Power outlets in dash move them, Right in front of the cup holders. Put them on the side. Make it so if the movie is playing I dont have to listen to it in the front. Rear view Camera standard.

Losing patience with Chevy fast!
By Dave

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am as loyal a buyer as Chevy can have after buying 7 Suburban/ Tahoes but have ready to throw in the towel after the issues experienced with my 07 LTZ. It's now burning 1-3 quarts every 2K miles and it's going in for the new fix (waited 8 mos) tomorrow. If they resolve the oil issue I may be back. Otherwise I am turning it in for Ford Exp EL. It's the best design yet, but what good is it if its always in the shop? We love doing family vacations in it but have had too many problems: 1. excessive oil use 2. washer heater -removed my favorite option! 3. Erratic A/C 4. Chrome peeling off int. door handles 5. U-joint 6. 4WD switch breaks 7. Front bumper breaks in snow! 8. 16 mpg max

Favorite Features

Heater washer fluid (gone now!), auto mirrors, rain sensing wipers,auto tailgate, Auto 4WD, the big bad 20" alloy rims (Bridgstone Duellers last +80K mi!), safety features, room and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Help me continue to buy American! Get rid of the 4/8 active engine and the frail front bumper! Lower the rear tow hitch. Fix the auto fold seat system -rarely works, bigger DVD screen. Improve reliability, MPG, & increase warranty coverage. Lower new prices, they are insane even if quality improves.