2013 Chevrolet Sonic LS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

2013 Sonic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Sort Reviews by

Little Tank
By toklatpa

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I'm 6'6" tall and I cannot get over the amount of room in this car nor can my passengers. Generous Leg and headroom and I can drive for hours with no fatigue. (I'm talking front seat, but I could really not care less about rear seat room, but few complaints there from passengers) Recently I hit a deer head on at 45 mph and the damage was minimal you have to look up close to see the damage, my insurance adjuster was amazed & stated that a Focus or other car in the same class would have needed towing. On this alone I will extol the virtues of this car. If you live in an area like Pennsylvania you are all too aware of Deer damage. The room and comfort of this car keeps me engaged with the road.

Favorite Features

The Six Speed manual took some getting used to but the car is rabbit quick and evokes driving a VW GTI. The Turbo is amazing though not marketed as a performance item it is well worth the money. The paint is amazingly glossy and fit and finish is very good. I am getting up to an average of 47mpg Highway and 38 city on 87 octane and any minor complaints I have had have had (as with ANY new car) were quickly taken care of because I chose a very well respected dealer. I also like that it's American Made in Michigan and my purchase helped create jobs here (Unlike most other cars in this segment) I get compliments and questions often and I'm quite proud to drive it.

Suggested Improvements

The 700 Dollar Mylink Stereo was a waste of money. It works better on the showroom than in real life, adding the MyGo Cell Navigation is useless unless you have the "right" phone (It needs a real navigation system). Needs a Real armrest or a second on the Passenger side. The Audio is too "up front" instead of the immersive sound I prefer. It also is not a pleasant experience driving with the windows down it buffets and flogs. The main complaint is the wheels and the rear end of the car get filthy, I have to stay up on washing and waxing. I also recommend mud flaps. I watched as the rear window coated in grime on the interstate during a rain/snow shower. All Minor things.

Love my Sonic!
By kellyanne67

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The only thing that I do not like on this car would be the crappy tires that come from the factory. Even with traction control and just a tiny bit of snow there is no traction. I truly feel that better tires would make this car unstoppable. I have had a few issues with the bluetooth system and my phone. Some phones work better than others but I have not had my dealer check these issues yet. The car is easy to drive, gets around in traffic like a dream, and with the turbo, it can certainly keep up. Gas mileage is great. I'm getting around 35mpg on the highway consistently. I'll say so far so good. I've had the car almost a year and have around 15,500 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, great gas mileage, comfortable back seat - even for tall people. More room than what it looks like. My 6ft tall husband fits in the car just fine.

Suggested Improvements

put better tires on from the factory - General Altimax would be a great choice.

Warranty Issues
By riverview3

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Excessive warranty issues. No heat issues couldn't be diagnosed until 3rd visit to dealer. Seating quality poor. Leather re stitched at dealer and seam reseated twice on rear seat. Mylink Bringo heated up Iphone enough via USB to cause phone damage.

Great, great choice for a small car
By mcland

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have LTZ with the 1.4 Turbo. Great engine, feels strong and pulls well. Combined gas mileage so far is above 30 MPG in mostly city driving. Composed ride, car sticks to the road in turns. The car feels very solid, a pleasure to drive. Visibility is great. The media system works well, the phone operation, the media applications and the radio itself. Large screen provides a lot of information in a friendly and clear manner. Remote Link with OnStar allows you to start the engine from far, far away, all done via satellite. Tried to use the turn by turn directions via OnStar and it did work very well too, you can download your route via smartphone. Overall happy with the car.

Favorite Features

Engine. The way it drives. Visibility. Smartphone applications. Solid feel.

Sonic Hatch LT with 1.4L
By jaar819

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I thought the overall design of both the interior and exterior of the Sonic was very tastefully done. I liked it better than other cars in its class but this is obviously a matter of taste. The 1.4L turbo engine is smooth and fun, 6 speaker sound system which seemed better to me than other cars in class, MyLink system, body of car seemed extremely stiff, much better than Mini Clubman, the last car i owned. I know this because my driveway has a bump which puts torsional stress on the car. the mini creaked. the sonic does not. very smooth ride on highway. very low rpm of engine at highway speeds. very quiet car for subcompact. the suspension system makes car feel more like a luxury car.

Favorite Features

- overall design of both the interior and exterior, the 1.4L turbo engine, 6 speaker sound system, MyLink, rigid body, very smooth ride on highway, low rpm of engine at highway speeds, very quiet car for subcompact. the suspension system makes car feel more like a luxury car.

Suggested Improvements

After 2 months of owning the car I have no complaints. you can tell that the overall design of the sonic was thought through very well. I find it ironic that GM and Ford have become the more innovative, interesting companies while Honda and Toyota the more conservative and main-stay. It terms of future improvements, my main suggestion would be to continue to improve engine technology. I was close to buying the Mazada 3 because of the innovative engine, but preferred the Sonic over-all.

Great Little Car
By icubarb

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car 10 months ago. I have about 10,000 miles on it. I have the 2012 LTZ hatchback in Orange and love it.

Favorite Features

I was just out driving in the ice and snow in New York. As I was headed up a steep hill, I saw others slipping and sliding. My car started to slip as well but the traction came on and up the hill I went and straight and easily as could be. I have not changed the factory tires on the car. It was such a pleasure driving in those conditions I decided to take a few more trips around town and again on the icy roads, the traction came through for me. I am singing Sonic's praises!!! I also love the dual control heated seats, remote control start, and the hands free calling. About a month ago during stop and go traffic, I was rearended. The bumper held up well. No major dents!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Better blind spot configuration would be good.

Galaxy S4 Cell Phone Owners Watch Out!!!
By geminiman

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love the Sonic RS, however I'm a little disappointed in the phone compatibility options. The Sonic uses BringGo as a navigation app that runs through your phone. After I bought the car, it turns out that the app doesn't work with the latest and greatest andriod, the S4. It does work though for the older S3 and S2. Also, I was thinking that pictures videos can be viewed from your phone through the usb port. It turns out only pictures and videos on a flash drive can be used.

Favorite Features

RS Interior Design, Racing inspired seats, Motorcycle dash

Suggested Improvements

Update Mylink software to be able to read pictures and videos from your andriod device.

2013 Chevy Sonic RS review
By viperaider

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I spent several months looking into my next gas saver. Keep in mind; GAS SAVER. This car won me over with features versus SAVING money. I settled with a brand new RS out the door for $18,900 after negotiating.

Favorite Features

Heres a quick breakdown of likes. Likes...solid handling; high tech gadgets; RS badging; solid feeling controls (door handles, turning signals etc); engine is peppy to be so small; the mean appearance of the front end; the head room and overall large interior real estate.

Suggested Improvements

More than once, it grinds going into 2nd gear if you "try" enjoying the car. That is never a good thing. All of this taking place with less than 600 miles on it. Thankfully I have a 100,000 mile warranty and I am almost positive it will be used with this transmission. The radio is too far away to touch easily and the target buttons sometimes too small and I end up hitting things I do not want to. I find myself not sitting centered on the seat, they have a slightly odd feel which may correct itself when worn in.

Fun little car but not good in snow
By vernmuffin

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback RS 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had been researching the Sonic extensively since its release and, after hearing my husband complain a lot about the lack of fuel economy of his Silverado 1500 pick-up (and receiving a $1000 private offer from Chevy) we decided to buy a 2013 RS this past February. We were planning to use the car for business travels that didn't require the truck, and short, run-about trips that didn't require a ton of cargo room or space for our 3 dogs. We thought by purchasing this vehicle, we could save mileage on our aging mini-van, as well as my husband's work truck (Silverado).

Favorite Features

Good stuff first... This car is very small but, as the reviews stated, on the inside, you usually feel like you are driving a much larger vehicle. The stick shift is fun, the RS trim is sporty, and living in MN, we LOVE the heated seats. Filling the tank on the Sonic can trigger the urge to break out in song and dance! My husband is tall and brawny and says he is more comfortable in the Sonic than in our Dodge Caravan. We have three kids, ranging in age from 3-10. The youngest uses a small booster seat in the middle and all three can fit comfortably across the back row. However, if more than one child needs a booster / car seat, I think two people in the back would be max.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint about the Sonic is its poor performance in snow / slush / ice. The traction control helps but not much. Driving in inclement conditions reminds you just how small the car is, and I found it scary. In addition to being slippery and sluggish even on well-plowed roads (we live in town) the car sits so low to the ground that we could not see over the snowbanks to check for traffic. Therefore, the car sat in the garage until the snow melted in May. On a couple of occasions, the only way we could get up hill with some ice on it was to drive the car up in reverse. This is obviously not ideal. Think twice before you buy if you live anyplace that gets a lot of snow/ice.

Was excited at first, not so much now
By jkrug26

2013 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This vehicle was my first new car. Being a single mom and having to drive two young children around I wanted something reliable. I didn't try and have my children attempt to get into the vehicle before purchasing but the rear door handles are up too far for my kids to reach. Secondly, and more concerning there is an issue with the ignition. My keys don't seem to want to go into the ignition. And IF they manage to make it in they get stuck in the ignition. I was stuck at the grocery store for ten minutes while I tried to get the car started because it seemed the tumbler was not engaging correctly with the key. Chevy needs to make this right!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating, good MPG

Suggested Improvements

Reduction to the blindspots (maybe not having headrests so high), better key/ignition build or quality improvement since the keys are cheaply made anyways