Used 1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Fixer upper!
By stranded in PITT

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

LOTS of things broke. In for linkage work throughout entire first year. Elec problems; leaves in fan - several blown switches; wipers severed from frame; air blows in through handles; tires do NOT HOLD air (alum rims???);

Favorite Features

radio works!

Suggested Improvements

test before releasing new models; I really want to buy american but this makes it hard

Steer clear of these!
By TeeSorter

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had my Malibu for only 2 years, and in that two years, it has been nothing but problem after problem. I bought the car with only 68,000 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from actually put about 1500 bucks into it during the first 6 months I had it (part of the selling agreement to fix some of the things)....I hate this car, and will never own another Chevy after this. Every fluid the car has in it, other then the brake fluid has leaked at some point. I just received a recall on it. The driver's side power window works when it feels like it.

Favorite Features

I actually just hope I make it to work and back every day......so I have no fav features.

Suggested Improvements

Get a better engine set-up,, one that doesn't leak everything!!!!!

dont buy
By tn

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

this was the first car i ever financed,thought i was getting a great deal, within the first month my anti- theft system locked up, and my power window/lock switch broke. i went through 2 sets of brakes, one day it wouldnt start, had it towed to chevy dealership were it sat for 4 days i couldnt get them to look at it. my husband ended up fixing it in the parking lot himself. 1 week before i traded it the emegency brake got stuck i could still drive it but every time i pulled out it made the dinging sound. the bad part is i only owned it 1 year.

Favorite Features

cold air, comfy

Suggested Improvements

recall it!!!!!!!

1997 Malibu
By roberth

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

puschased this veh at 36k miles, appently all the good had been used. had trouble with alignment on rear tires. car vibrates excessively and the road noise is terrible. car was quasi- ok for the first year we had it, put in a new battery. had the alternator replaced. last year the water pump went out. that is quite a chore!! had to remove the timing chain.would not recommend this car to others.

I love my malibu
By ktcjt

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed my malibu. great family vehicle. we have taken many long and short trips in this care, truck size is great, ride is smooth and comfortable. 4 adults can comfortably sit in the car. Need some work on the brake system, the glove compartment doesn't close flush, and the a/c system constantly gets leaves in the coils.

Favorite Features

Trunk size, good interior room- 4 adults can comfortably ride, good size car, not like driving a boat size car or a mini.

Suggested Improvements

a/c intake needs a guard on the outside vents to stop leaves and debris getting on the coils which clogs up the a/c. had to get quite a few brake jobs, never seemed to last very long, not like other cars.