Disappointed with Impala AGAIN . . .
By drvmn on
2009 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)
Purchased my 09' Implala new in February 2009. At around 50,000 miles, the head gaskets started leaking (fixed under GM's 100,000 mile warranty - faulty gaskets used by GM). Had to replace a transmission cooler line, I'm now on my third pair of front brake rotors, and even after a front-end allignment at the dealership, the front tires continue to wear out along the outer edge. I thought GM was better than this. Now at 66,000 miles, Check Engine light comes on due to a "gunked up" fuel injection system. Why put the fuel filter inside the tank where it can't be serviced on a regular basis??? This is my second Impala (my 05' had intake manifold gasket issues). I'm done with Impalas.
Favorite Features
Car rides smooth and does great in Minnesota winter weather. I have had no problems driving on snowy roads - traction and stability is good. Very easy to do oil changes and I've faithfully changed my oil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. Oil filter is in a great location and easy to access. I average 29 ~ 30 miles per gallon and my drive to work is about 40 miles, most of which is interstate driving.
Suggested Improvements
Head gaskets at 50,000 miles??? If GM would have invested even $100 more on higher quality gaskets, it would have saved them around $2,000 in warranty repairs. Higher performance gaskets are available . . . use them - the money saved on gaskets did not outweigh the cost of a top-end tear down!!! Dealership told me head gasket issue was common for the 2009 model. Front brake rotors - third set??? I drive almost all highway miles with limited braking. And why is the front end allignment designed so that the tires ride on the outer edges causing premature tire wear??? GM - I thought you were better than this!!!