Used 1997 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C/K 3500 Series model:

Like a rock
By billybob big rigger

1997 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

I own a K3500 crew cab with a 454 big block. It has all the power I will ever need. It rides like a one ton, but if you want ride, buy a car. It will fit all your gear, and or family. It pulls like a mule. 4x4 is decent, but the auto hubs could have used a little better engineering. All in all, it is the best thing I have ever bought.

OK
By S Johnston

1997 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series C3500 Cheyenne 2dr Regular Cab LB

Bought this truck new, 7.4L 2WD limited slip. Used for towing 4 horse 5th wheel. I really have no major complaints. The truck has done OK for me. I baby it, and have kept up the maintainence. It mostly has highway miles, going to and from horse shows. 7.4 performed OK on the towing, not a whole lot of power, but got me up the hill.

I still love Chevy's but not this one.
By Louie

1997 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

I bought my used with 98K miles. After getting new motor, radiator, fuel pump, starter, brakes, heater coil and motor, brake line, rebuilt front end, before it turned 123K over 10k dollars in work and parts. To top that off I was getting 8 to 10 mpg with the 454. I finally couldn't take it anymore and traded for a Dodge diesel. It broke my heart cause I'm a Chevy man at heart. I love my Dodge,but I still may get another Chevy some day. I just think I really got a lemon with this truck and my other Chevy 1999 wasn't this back. Also Chevy really drop the ball when they stopped making the Camaro. That comblined with this truck turned me to Dodge.

Favorite Features

I love the design of it and the crew cab is well design easy to live will, but the seats took getting used to at first, felt like I was sitting on a turtle's back. I loved the captains seat's arm and they weren't that bad once I got used to them.

Suggested Improvements

Sat too low for a truck. 454 had no power. I think my 99 4.8 Chevy pulled better. Bad mpg. Not reliable at all.

Whole lotta truck!
By Mike Wise

1997 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

I have the 6.5 Turbo Diesel motor which I absolutely love...when it runs! I can't stand it when it doesn't run or is having mechanical problems, which seems to be most of the time anymore. I've had overheating problems when I'm towing in the summer, fuel injection pump has been replaced ($1500), also had to replace lift pump, oil pressure switch 3 times, and pmd module twice. But, once you get her running right it's hard to beat it's performance and mpg!

Favorite Features

Diesel fuel economy, huge crew cab interior (room for me, my wife and all 3 kids!) High Chevrolet build quality and great fit and finish/workmanship

Suggested Improvements

Wish I would have waited for the Duramax diesel. The 6.5 would be a great motor if Chevrolet could get all the bugs out of them!

Disappointed in Chevy
By 70mach428

1997 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Series K3500 Silverado 4dr Crew Cab 4WD LB

I have been a GM owner for over twenty years and this truck will be my last GM vehicle. To be succinct, I have 58,000 miles and need a new bottem end on my engine, and my front end needs to be rebuilt - and this truck has been pampered! Call me crazy, but I think that a $40,000 truck should last more than 58,000 miles. To add insult to injury, GM will do nothing to help offset the cost of repairs. Ford, here I come.

Favorite Features

None. The engine lacked power, and it's a big block. The leather interior was an inferior grade that was neither comforable, nor durable. The paint started to peel as soon as the warranty expired. There really isn't anything that impresses me about the truck.

Suggested Improvements

Quality. Something as expensive as this was should last more than 58,000 miles.