Used 2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS Z28 SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Camaro - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS

View reviews for a specific Camaro model:

Silver Bullet
By 00SS

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

This car is balanced well. It feels like a muscle car when I want it to, with the exception that it actually corners. I haven't had more fun driving a car, including my old 70 Nova! It's very tame when tootling around town, the gear changes are smooth and throttle response is outstanding. Whether you're cruising the strip, or blasting down an old country road, the car responds. Easy to drive, and power on tap. 60 MPH @ 1450 Rpms in 6th gear means I get decent gas mileage (around 23-24mpg highway).

Favorite Features

Exterior style, power on demand, overall fun just driving.

Suggested Improvements

No more skip shift!

This is a fantastic car!
By McEllinater

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I drive a mystic blue 2000 z28 Camaro V6. The best part of my day is driving this car. It is a lot of fun to drive, even in long distances. It keeps friends, family, co-workers all in awe. It's got lots of pickup even for a V6 and the thing is a tank. The car makes you feel powerful as you cruise down the road. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it cannot handle in harsh winters, but it is a fantastic summer car. Overall this car symbolizes style, speed, strength, and respect.

Favorite Features

Very fun to drive, good for the image, fast, reliable, stylish, good fuel economy, affordable, good crash rating, and lots of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Random parts seem to fail, could use some extra space, cheap interior, does not drive well in winter.

Great Lemon
By 2k-ss

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I ordered this car new, and it is my fourth Camaro. It's performance is great, and the fuel economy is surprising. The handling is outstanding. Unfortunately, the differential has been a constant source of trouble. It has been completely rebuilt by dealers three times. It rattles horribly under neutral load and whines when under slight power on turns. Chevrolet has admitted the rear end clunking is common, and says it is normal. Routine rebuilds would not seem to be normal. Now that the warranty is up, Chevrolet has lost interest in this.

Favorite Features

Great power, fun to drive, and looks like a civilized street prowler.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently the differential was an afterthought. Perhaps a Ford rear end would have been in order.

My last V8
By Kurt

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

I purchased this car from the dealer using my mother-in-law's employee discount. I ordered it in September, 1999 and it was delivered on Jan 1, 2000. The brakes warped right away and Chevy resurfaced them no charge - more than once. Several months ago I decided to keep the car and installed Baer Eradispeed disks front and rear with Hawk pads and a new set of Goodyear F1 GS D3s and the car is now perfected. It goes like stink and stops exceedingly well. Now that gas is $3/Ga I think this will be my last V8, but it has been fun. Used ones are cheap now and mine has been bulletproof. I would recommend one to anyone who wants something like this.

Favorite Features

I like the whole car, but the favorite thing is the drivetrain. That big pushrod motor goes like a bat out of hell. Now that I have equivalent braking power I think the car is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

If GM ever makes another Camaro I strongly recommend that they think more European and develop a rear wheel drive independently suspended dbl overhead cam mid-engine V6 mated to a paddle shifted manual transmission.

Bang for your buck
By demonspeed

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 2 Dr Z28 SS Coupe

This is my 3rd Camaro. I bought the car used with 12k miles and I have put it through its paces. It is a daily driver that has seen a lot of track time. It has held up very well for the amount of abuse it has seen over the past 16k miles of ownership. With VERY minimal modifications, the car went from 13.6@106, to 13.1@110. I do not hesitate to take this car on any trips, nor fear the increasing gas prices and it sees close to 30mpg on the highway, and close 20mpg around town. For the price of these used LS1 cars, the performance/dollar ratio is top notch. With 303hp at the wheels STOCK, the car is really making more than its advertised 320hp (appx 350 crank - like a base Corvette).

Favorite Features

346 ci LS1 engine, T56 transmission, solid axle, t-tops, excellent looks with the SS package. Great relative mileage for the class, alright factory stereo (Monsoon 500w). This is a car to enjoy, but is very easy to setup into a drag race monster, or to have fun at your local SCCA event.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality(this is a mid-90's GM design, so we can't expect much). Power antenna (why should just the Firebird get one?), a stronger rear alxe (GM 12 bolt?), better window motors, better clutch setup (remedied in 2001), and more factory awareness of the Camaro brand - BRING IT BACK!