2005 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Extremely poor reliability
By gf1234 on 05/22/12 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car has terrible reliability in 3 yrs I have spent nearly $10,000 in repairs. - two A/C compressor hoses - sunroof leak - air mass meter - all for O2 sensors - complete radiator replacement Do not buy this car.

Made Me A Believer
By gravelroad on 03/14/12 00:41 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

So, always wanted a BMW...finally bought one off a 3-year lease that was certified. My salesperson said that once I owned a BMW that'd it'd be the only car I'd ever own again..he was SO correct!! The handling is great for an SUV; just like a sports sedan. And, yes, the ride is bumpy. I've read that it's been improved after 2006. But I don't mind..because it handles so great in snow & rain. I've had gas mileage 35 mpg on highway. Of course, with A/C on and driving in city, any car can be as bad as 10 mpg, no exception to date. Even with gas prices predicted at $5.00/gallon, I'd rather be in something safe than a roller skate getting 40 mpg. Think about it!! Planning on keeping this.

First BMW ever!
By andycindy8288 on 06/14/11 18:45 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

After my wife and I have bought the 2005 BMW X3 3.0i. We had no idea how different BMW's where compared to us having a toyota corolla and growing up with ford cars and hondas. At 82K miles we have yet to have any issues with our X3 3.0 aside from guzzling gas at an unexpected rate. But thats a given since we love to put it to the mettle with our 3.0i V6 on the high ways everyday we go to work, and we are on the highways a lot. We where surprised how a midsize SUV like the the BMW X3 3.0i can pack so much and have so many little surprises that you wont find out until you push it to the limit. It has ample enough room and yes the ride is rough, but this is a sports based midsize SUV.

Good
By sethbolz on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

All around great car for design, reliability and comfort. Interior lacks a bit in luxury (for a BMW). Power to weight ratio also lacks a bit.

Lovin' it
By Lovin' it on 02/08/10 10:20 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Love this car! Nothing to wrong with it..they couldve really made it more fancy in the inside for a BMW..its lacking. Stereo isn't great, again for a BMW.

62K miles and going strong
By Dustin on 01/26/10 10:58 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just had the BMW dealer do a full inspection of it and found nothing wrong at 62k miles! All I have done is change oil and buy new tires. The 6 speed manual allows me to have great performance but also allows to get the same or better gas mileage as any 2010 American or Japanese competitor SUV with 6cyl awd. Only difference is the required premium fuel, which is only like and extra $2 per fill up so who cares. Pretty sporty too, topped it out at 140mph before. Awd makes it handle corners and snow excellently.

120,000 miles later
By jerry on 12/16/09 11:22 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Consider this a VERY long term road test. Everybody loves their new car, but after 120,000 miles ours keeps getting better. It had some minor problems which developed under warranty and which were resolved while we drove new BMWs when ours was in service. Great in the snow, great long distance cruiser. Mpg annualizes at 21.7. All electrical stuff still performing well, gps probably ought to be updated but we don't use it all that much. Only possible drawback is it eats tires getting maybe 35k to a set.

New to BMWs
By Gator297 on 03/29/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

First time BMW owner, and so far impressed. Responsive steering, excellent braking, front seats very comfortable. Could have used more sound proofing for interior. Road noise and wind flowing across top noticeable. Tight fitting vehicle, no rattles. Titanium int. seems durable. Easy to handle. A head turner. Cargo area seems small with rear seats up.

Not happy
By Not Happy on 01/04/09 17:46 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a 528i before this (loved it). I thought I wanted an suv and bought this x3 with both the sport and premium pkg. Not nearly the quality, Interior is cheap looking and black on black peels off. Head lights didn't stay aligned, and having them aligned was not covered by warranty. Keys remote doesn't always work and I have to lock it with key. I have taken the keys back to BMW four times to have them reset. What a pain. Fuse went out on auxiliary outlet and BMW says not covered by warranty (this fuse cost less than $1.00). The car looks ok on the exterior, but the sunroof rattles like it is broken, BMW says it is normal operation. Overall, this is a car.

Stiff ride
By snowgoddess on 01/01/09 22:59 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It is unbelievably bumpy and you will feel every seam and pebble in the road. The handling is great, though and braking is the best I've ever experienced. Peppy and plenty of power but at an expense (91 octane fuel) The leatherette seats are just awful, ugly and uncomfortable. Cold in the winter and probably hot in the summer. Get the leather. The wood and aluminum trim provide the only other classy touches to the interior. It's a head turner around town. Black sapphire is gorgeous in the sunlight.