2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Too Many Problems

2008 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

550i Sedan (4.8L V8 6-speed Manual)

Too Many Problems
By kblack1 on

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Just to start, this is not my first car or my second. I understand there are no guarantees in life and cars are finnicky. Sometimes you just get a bad apple. But for the $$$ a 550i costs those apples should be fixed properly and the owner satisfied. I have owned quite a few vehicles in my now 17 years of driving. 2 of which were a 2003 325xi and a 2006 330i sport. Both of which had no problems. I purchased the 550i in 2010 with 33k miles. It was a CPO, which gave me comfort purchasing a used car. Not any more!!! I seriously doubt this car was properly inspected. Which is what I told BMW, and they passed the buck to the dealer who basically told me F off. Consistent problems!

I have had the vehicle for a year and a half now. It spent 3 of the first 4 months I owned it in the dealer trying to fix the Idrive/Nav/climate system, and in total 5 of the first 16 months. climate control would go on , on its own. The Nav screen would blank out while driving. The radio wouldnt turn on. Other than that here is a list of other repairs: power steering pump, battery, wiper motor, climate vents wouldnt open, CD stuck in radio, transmission needed recalibration, water pump, brake issues, and the Idrive system still takes way too long to load at start. All that being said the performance and handling of the car are great. It is also a gorgeous vehicle with the M sport pac

I think maybe BMW should stick to what they do best and make good performance vehicles, and leave out all the bells and whistles until they are sure they work properly. I understand people want those options and they want to compete, but the negativity that what I have gone through brings is I'm not sure I would ever purchase another BMW, which is sad because they make cars that perform well and look good. I know I am one person and they sell millions of cars, but I doubt I am the only one with these issues. And as I said earlier this is my 3rd BMW and I planned on buying them for the rest of my life until this happened.