One fine auto.
By jpcoregon on
2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)
I bought the 2008 535i certified, including the maint. program to 100K miles 10/08. Outside of the horrendous experience with the lack of honesty and integrity of the BMW dealer, the car is superb. Too bad the certified program still makes one visit a BMW dealership. The car's comfort, ability to handle as well as it's outright performance is just plain fun. I quickly dumped the run-flats on this Sport model and bought high end Michelin UHP tires. The difference is a better ride and performance all the way around. Huge lack of space for change, eyeglasses and little things. Cupholders are poor, but one forgets as this thing gets up and runs.
Favorite Features
Comfort seats, Sport package, ENGINE. The way it moves and purrs as one goes down the highway or a windy road ('ya live for those). I enjoy the looks overall quite a bit...not really at first, but it has warmed on me, like a very good woman who is rather plain looking. The resale value is a very good thing and so far, albeit a few minor items and one recall pump (all tco under warranty), this car has been very reliable. It remain quiet at all times, with no creaks or rattles.
Suggested Improvements
i-Drive is a clever idea that is executed poorly. It is a tolerable, but requires WAY too many steps and contortions to input basic information. Is is needlessly complex, but in the end, after all the inputting and requiring too much attention, it does work. The newer 5's did add better space cubbies up front, so that is good. I drove the new 2011 5-series as my vehicle was in for a warranty issue, and in no way cared for it as much as my own...surprised in a big way...nicer interior, like the looks but the fun factor went on vacation...I am happy and will keep mine. Overall, a very fun, enjoyable car that makes me grin as I get to drice it each day. Gotta love the German sedans...
By timbo52
on 07/22/11 10:33 AM (PDT)

Exhilerating and fun when everything works! I love to drive my 2008 535i with Sports package when it is not in the shop. Lots of power and full of confidence. However I have had lots of problems which has been worked on under the factory warranty. Here is the list so far: 1) replace head lamp module ( less than a week after delivery), 2) replace fuel pump, 3) replace fuel injector, 4) car suddenly went into "limp (lower power mode)" when entering highway (fortunately I was not in heavy traffic), 5)replace gear shift handle, 6) iDrive goes crazy and turns into black screen. Hopefully, nothing else shows up. I love the way the car handles but the trips to the service department has become too often. Planning to replace it with the closest comparable and "RELIABLE" sports sedan just. They do offer a loaner while the car is in the shop but it is always a lower level 3 series model. A bitter sweet BMW experience. Suggested Improvements: A more intuitive navigation system. Even my low end TomTom is easier to use. They need better programers for the iDrive system to make it more user friendly. Too many buttons to push.