Used 2008 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great Value. Great Performance Part 2
By So. Cal. D.

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Through the break-in period and after a few weeks of having the car in So. California I thought it worthwhile to confirm that the car is terrific day in and day out. Two additional notes: It is very difficult to stay within the speed limit. I'd say the car has the character of a jet-fighter. So capable that you're crossing over 100 mph just merging into traffic from the on-ramp (and you didn't hear or feel any noticeable change, except for the acceleration, along the way). Also, it's a bit difficult to have fun and achieve more than 20 mpg. And that's where speed limits and busy roadways help out - - they keep you from riding the afterburners all day. :)

Favorite Features

Logic 7 in "theater" mode with lower- end tweaked up slightly and you are surrounded by your own soundtrack. Comfort seats, solid handling, smooth n quick shifts. Sport mode is great for city driving, great downshifts.

Suggested Improvements

Uh. If it's possible to make a car this solid and responsive and to use less gas that would be great, but. . .

Love To Drive This Car
By Rhm4BMW

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second BMW, had a 325I which was really a great drives car. The 528I is a little more refine to drive, but step on the gas and this baby gives no pause. Had mine at 141 mph. Straight as an arrow, never scared. Do Not Try This. I can only imagine the 535, 550, M3 or M5. BMW is the best.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior, sat radio, and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

BMWs are for people who loves to drive, especially with sunglasses on. So where is THE SUNGLASSES HOLDER. Minor problem, but it might just complete a near perfect car.

Absolutely LOVE this CAR
By Wendy

2008 BMW 5 Series 550i 4dr Sedan (4.8L 8cyl 6M)

Third BMW for me. Two 3 series previously and this new 550i is miles above and beyond what i had already decided was the best. The iDrive so complained about, I picked up easily. I find the whole vehicle experience exciting and extremely enjoyable. Speed, handling, build quality, style... all trend setting as usual. I have only liked cars before this one.

Favorite Features

Interior design and comfort, vehicle handling, speed, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Could improve the fuel economy and reduce vehicle expense! But either way I'd buy it again!

The "Ultimate Driving Machine"I know why
By rclimbing

2008 BMW 5 Series 535i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I now know why the BMW is now called the "Ultimate Driving Machine". The 535i is the best car I have ever driven. It has a solid feel and the handling is amazing. It sticks like glue while corning. I test drove a bunch of cars - Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura. None of these cars drive like the 5 series. I went with the 5 series despite the fact it costs more, but it's worth every penny!

Favorite Features

Sports package, leather seats, handling, excellent fit and finish, driving experience

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, need more storage space, better gas mileage, fewer ashtrays

Finally back in a BMW
By jeffmatt

2008 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I do not know why I ever left BMW. Maybe is was that the grass looked greener at MB. A Benz is probably the best car to ride in, but the BMW is the best car to drive. And I like to drive. I am coming out of an 07 E350 and just bought a 08 528i. What a difference. The 528 is so fun to drive, that I cannot wipe the smile off of my face. It just handles so well and there is plenty of power in the 528. You really do not need the 535. It definitely reminds me of my 2000 528 which I liked very much. Purchased car with premium & sport packages, navigation, auto, iPod and xenons. Great package. The E350 was like driving a sofa down the freeway. The 528 is like a sports car, it is on rails.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling, new auto shifter, iDrive (and yes iDrive is complicated. If you want a information center to provide a lot of features, then there will be some amount of complication, but it blew me away) and the comfort seats (none better).

Suggested Improvements

none