2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

530xi 3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual - (18 reviews )
a little pain for lots of fun gain
By bummer530 on 04/08/12 09:32 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

In the market for a car in 2009 and for the price of a boring Accord V6 ($39k in Canada) I got a 530xiT CPO with 60,000 km on it. Had to deal with electronic glitches here and there (tire sensors, oil level sensors, etc) and the transmission is somehow brutal when accelerating from a red light. Also experience problems at idle, irregular rpms..but all covered by CPO warranty. Driving is a blast: I put 40,000 km on it annually and wouldn't want to drive any other car @$700/month. If I could afford a '12 MB E350 4matic station, I could consider a trade but even if I need to rebuild the tranny, it will still be cheaper and more fun to drive my 530xit into the ground. 170k km heading for 400k

Great Wagon
By mycayenneturbo on 01/31/11 12:27 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We recently purchased a pre-owned 530xi Sports Wagon with 70k miles on it, oh what can we say, we love it! We just took it for a long trip(800 miles round trip) to visit our family and the road trip was a joy. It is very fun to drive & seats are on the firm side and supportive and it didn't give me lower back pain for driving for such long hours! The interior is very quiet(not as quiet as Lexus cars) and it rides very smoothly. We folded the back seats down and it created a great bed for our dogs and spacious cargo area for our luggage. My husband hated the idea of owning a station wagon but he likes this one, it is beautiful, probably one of the best looking station wagons available today.

A dream come true
By Craiggb on 06/21/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had rented a 2005 5 series wagon while in Europe and put nearly 3,000 km - wanted one ever since! This car has a gas engine, AWD and a few more options but the same body and feel. It's clear to me that BMW builds a better vehicle than most. I have owned 37 cars in my life so far and this is indeed at the top (second only to my Boxster) when it comes to fit, finish and feel. The handling is superb, the seating position very comfortable, and power is adequate. The 255 hp is enough but, as is the case with every car, it slowly becomes insufficient as one gets to know the car well. The auto trans is very nice and the Sport mode is great. Good on gas if you don't get too aggressive ;-).

Doesn't leave much to desire
By Vitix2 on 03/17/10 19:28 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned the BMW 530XiT for 4 yrs. and I can't think of another car that I would have preferred to own/drive regularly. By now you know that it is a great car. It exemplifies quality, athleticism, utility, and looks (IMHO). No need to rehash those traits. So, I'll move onto what I think could be improved. Power: It does great at highway speed or once you get the RPMs up. But, that performance is unmatched at the low end. Idrive: My system gets stuck at times and I have to re-select functions. No big deal, but I expect better. Panoramic Sliding Roof: Great feature, but wind noise over 30mph is out of control. Worse, BMW does not make a wind deflector that fits the model.

Fun to Drive
By Ironbird0 on 12/29/09 12:44 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 2006 530XI AWD Wagon used in August 2009. I love it, although I have had one issue regarding one of the ignition coils which broke on Christmas Eve morning. Luckily, my Greenwich CT dealer has been top-notch so far and took it in immediately and had me back on the road and home in time for the holiday. I just would like to see the Manufacturer use better coils in this car as I've heard this is a common issue for this car. Otherwise, this car is AWESOME! Acceleration is great once you are up to speed-but I find a little sluggish from 0-60 mph.

1st time BMW owner-bad experience
By Jeniffer on 05/25/08 14:59 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband bought this car for my 40th birthday, this was a bad gift. I've had my car in the shop 23 times, multiple times for brakes and wheels/tires. The car has been in the shop 5 times in the last two and half months. I will never buy another BMW. I want to be able to get in my car and drive without wondering if my caliper will fall off.

Happy with 530xi wagon
By Ross on 12/26/06 01:31 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great driving car, and very handsome. Gives a lot of confidence when driving in bad weather.

The BEST wagon EVER
By Norman on 03/21/06 09:49 AM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the 3rd wagon I have owned and the 2nd BMW wagon, this is by far the BEST wagon EVER, the all wheel drive and the navagation were not available on the 1999 wagon, and it truly makes this the BEST wagon ever, I also love the fact I have Blue tooth and my phones address book in my BMW, it also links to my iPod so I am a happy camper.

The very nice "T" as Touring
By CNJ31 on 02/12/06 13:36 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Had worked in the Old world for many years so 5 doors with AWD are my only interest once return to the New world. There were few models met the criteria in the local market. We finally chose the 530xiT because it is a good example of demonstrating what a car should be like when a car has the right combination of performance, handling, quality, safety and utility. Although the 530xiT does not perform #1 in each category, it is so well balanced!! This is very important for people who are shopping in this market segment. Time to call it correctly: Touring, not Wagon.

the ultimate family wagon
By gillie on 11/29/05 16:06 PM (PST)

2006 BMW 5 Series Wagon 530xi 4dr Wagon AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Quality of build is noted just openning the doors. Interior appointments are perfecto. Compares favorably to my M5 in terms of finish and the good feeling sitting in driver's seat engendors. The iDrive is simple, perhaps too simple for the auto critics. 28 mpg on the road is just fine. I wish it were a couple of thousand cheaper but this car is a keeper so the price is not so upsetting.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.