2004 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Outstanding Safety
By Khoa Nguyen on 11/14/04 09:03 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Was T-bone by a tractor trailor and walk away without a scratch.

Simply awe inspiring!
By Arjun on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was hesitant about getting the new body style at first, but now I totally love it! It's handling and agility is so refined that driving becomes effortless. The interior is roomy and the build quality is what you expect from a BMW. The only design flaw I see are the front cup holders. They are awkwardly positioned and only functional in holding one size. Otherwise a gem - I never thought they could improve on the E39's!

fun to drive
By lemont on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

bmw did and outstanding job on the new 04 5 series. the new look is sharp and the interior is even better. the new body style is a head turner and i get so many raves about how good this car looks. i've only seen two more new 5 series on the street,but once the word gets out am sure i'll be seeing alot more of them.

Now It's O.K.
By Stu from Scottsdale on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I was the first to get my 5 series in Scottsdale, AZ. I should have waited while BMW got the minor bugs out. A "run-flat" tire was bad and until it was discovered the car was vibrating so much while driving that the passengers thought the car was equipped with "vibrating" seats. Originally the dealer said that's the way the sports series drives. The service manager was NOT very accomodating and I had to complain loud and often.Then the radio- C/D player repeatedly would not play, all that you could hear was static. BMW after 5 tries finally fiqured out it was caused by the "phone module". The drivers cup holder also broke after the first use. Now I love it.

The best I have owned
By pathmd on 10/29/04 10:28 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Have owned my 545i for 2 weeks. Have Z3 and X5 as well. This car is a monster on the road. Zero to 60 in 5 seconds is no exaggeration. The car is tight, assisted steering is superb. Plenty of heads turn when the car passes. Found i-drive to be no problem - basic controls are still on the dash board. Mileage overall 19.4 mpg after 800 miles. Recommend buyers get the largest engine you can afford. Nothing about this car will disappoint you. Watch your speed. Esy to hit 85- 90 mph without noticing.

UNBMW LIKE
By kLAUSLAW on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have only owned my 545 for three weeks but I am very disappointed so far. I just came off a 2001 525 lease and loved the car. No problems for 3 years. The 2004 seems tinny in comparison to my 2001. Further, I feel the 545 does not handle the road nearly as comfortable as my prior vehicle. It is very bumpy w/the run flat 18 inch wheels and further the active steering is very weird. I still dont get it. It feels like the car is fighting me every time I make a turn. Further if their is a rut in the road the car feels like it does not know what to do and wants to go off the road. Further, the transmission is very unreliable and choppy from the start. Cupholders are rediculous as usual.

Get rid of the I-Drive
By Bill Chipman on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The I-Drive is one of the worst ideas ever designed for a car! The engine and performance is great; but over the past year it has been in the shop 5 times with each time having to address the I-Drive. This will be the first and last BMW I ever purchase.

a long time BMW driver
By wanger on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

While new is usually better, in the case of the new 2004 530, it is not. After driving the 1998 528, and a 330ci, this new 2004 530, while technologically more advanced than the former model, is like driving a large sedan. It does not feet like a drivers care. It feely heavier, the radio controls make it a lot harder to switch between channels, the attention to deatil to save costs are noticeable...no longer is the gear shift knob in wood. Thats a $150 option. The door panels are too large, making the passenger windows too small. If you are a back seat passenger, you are wedged too far down in the seat to be able to look outside. Overall, go find a 2003 530/545 and don't let it go.

Lemon Law
By RJC11 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great car to drive-when I have it. Vehicle has been at the dealer twice for a total of 18 days so far with the same electrical problem. Going back for a third time. 3 Strikes and you're out.

A must
By Judah on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

It has been a fun experience. I love gadgets and the latest trends in technology, it has it all. It has been a blessing.