Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Looks can be decieving
By Melina

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car in Germany and couldn't wait to get it back to the states. The same week it arrived I had to turn it into the dealership because, the monitor said I was out of oil. They fixed that problem. A couple of months past and one night the car went crazy. Windshield wipers wouldn't turn off, headlights, radio, interior lights were all flashing. BMW claimed to fix the problem. 2 weeks later I was at the dealership again for another "software" issue. My vehicle had been in the shop 7 times and was less than a year old. I was really disappointed with the way BMW Corporate handled the situation. I could have purchased a Neon and had less problems. I won't be purchasing another BMW.

Favorite Features

Appearance is the only thing going for this vehicle. Being that me and the dealership seem to have joint custody of the car, when it's not with them it drives/rides fine. As soon as my two weeks are up it's back to daddy dealership for more "software" work.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the so called "software" issue. Maybe, BMW should work out all the bugs before placing their products on the market.

530i
By Jeanne

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This has been one of the most pleasureable cars to drive and own. I have not needed to pay for anything other then a new tire that was needed after blowing out on I95 and riding on the rim. I was amazed at the control that I still had when the tire blew. I have continued to enjoy this vehicle, and the only improvement I would make, is to have a fence around it in parking lots. Apparently others do not think that the car should be treated well. Of course they didn't pay for it.

Favorite Features

All the safety information that is at your finger tips. Also am able to make everything automated.

Suggested Improvements

Be able to put a low octane in fuel in her.

My 04 530i
By Joe G

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I very much enjoy driving this car. It is fun to drive and very reliable. I had some computer problems early on, but they were repaired and have had no problems since. I have also had many compliments about the styling and appearance of the car. I will get another one when this lease is finished next year.

Favorite Features

Most controls are on the steering column, which make them convenient. Navigation system is also quite good and accurate. Trunk is large and roomy.

Suggested Improvements

IDrive could be made a little more user friendly.

E60 verses E39
By Brandon Boles

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 04, 530i a little over a month ago. So far I am very pleased with the car. Overall it is a dream to drive. It has the sports package and it feels like it's on rails. I also own a 98 540i Sport. The overall compfort and flat out performance is a bit better on the 540 but it should be. It's a v8 car. I believe time will tell, that the 04, 530i will be a more reliable car. Believe it or not, the 540i fuel economy is a little better than the 530i. That may be due to driving habits. My 530 has a 6 speed manual, the 540 has the automatic steptronic transmission.

Favorite Features

I-Drive is not for ID10T'S. Once you figure it out, it's like second nature. It's a neat concept. Handling is awesome and over all interior. Premium sound is a must also.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders. BMW engineers, please stop trying to make such a complicated cup hold that won't stand the test of time. All you need is two holes and a flap to cover it up when you aren't using it. My wife broke the passenger cup holder the 2nd day I owned the 530. I've replaced the 540s 3 times.

What's not to like?
By Phil B.

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I am not sure if there is another car that better combines performance and luxury. 0-60 in 5-6 seconds, uncanny handling and feel, superb cockpit, plenty of rear seat room, excellent sound system. Why all the controversy over iDrive? It is about as easy to master as a simple video game. It seems the reviewers just needed something in the "con" column, because everything else is "pro".

Favorite Features

Cornering with Active Steering.

Suggested Improvements

More power ... wait, BMW just came out with the 360hp 550 in Europe. That will be my next car!