Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Electronic Gremlins
By veinr

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car a little over a year ago and have spent approx. 2K in repairs. The radiator is plastic as is the water pump impeller motor. It had several oil and hydraulic leaks which I had repaired. The rear tires wear on the inside quite rapidly due to camber settings with the independent suspension. The battery burned a hole in itself and I've had several turn signal issues, lights burning out, shorts etc. Right now I'm getting a low oil pressure light at idle even after replacing the sending unit. The cupholders and interior buttons are very cheap. Other than that, this is a really fun car to drive. The motor is bullet proof. I got 23mpg on a recent trip with 3 bikes on the roof rack.

Looks, handling. Tiptronic transmission. Steering feel.

Reliability needs major improvements. Sound system is average for this expensive of a car. No bluetooth, no satellite radio. Going back to Honda.

Awesome fast sporty sedan
By BMW 540iA, M5 susp

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 540iA new before the body style changed and I'm glad i did. I tested the 6 speed manual first but the sales rep convinced me to buy the automatic with manu-matic shift. The car is fast yet unassuming. My 540iA came with the M5 sports package complete with M5 steering wheel, suspension/brakes and front/rear spoilers. I was shopping for an M3 as I was already driving a 1998 528E but the M3 was too small - am so glad I made the right decision. I would recommend the 540ia to any sports, luxury and German car enthusiast.

Sports seats, steering wheel, handling and style.

Get real cup-holders and correct the LED dashboard readout which in my 540ia faded only after 1 year.

2003 BMW 525i Sedan
By MD

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is our first BMW which we bought new with 4 miles on the odometer and its still going strong after 6 years and 135,000 miles. We average 500 miles per week on it back/forth to work. Highway gas mileage averages 26 mpg. My wife loves the car and I hope it lasts another 100K miles. We've had no engine problems, but regular maintenance is expensive. Our dealer had to repair the moon roof 3 times due to the guide rails - kept breaking. Fortunately those repairs were under warranty and we solved that problem by not using the moon roof anymore. The LED dash display burns out and is very expensive to replace - my mechanic tells me this is a known defect that BMW will not acknowledge.

The base i6 engine has plenty of power and gets you up to highway speeds quickly from the on ramps. Our 525 has the Sport package which makes it fun to drive on windy roads as the handling is great. The ride is excellent and gas mileage good.

Low and medium fan speed settings for the windshield defroster, the high only setting is loud and blasts your face/eyes. The slide out dashboard cup holders are worthless. HD radios are still an option today and should be standard in a BMW 5-series.

BMW 530i
By nstajka

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Love at first sight. I knew I would buy it as soon as I walked in the dealer.Then reality sets in. Seems like I'm in the shop every six months. Last time the fuel pump or the pump sensor or relay? They didn't know. But after three trips in and almost $600.00 (Again!), I'm ready for a Ford again. It was fun but unless I win the lotto I'm done with BMW.

Loved everything about her. Like my ex-wife.

Too many bells and whistles creates too many trips to the shop.

A great car!
By kjm

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th BMW and the one I kept the longest (prior 3 were 3-series). This car does everything well; style, performance, handling, comfort & safety. I have not experienced any major problems with the car - routine work only. 87000 miles and going strong. I still get compliments on the car even after 6 years!

style, performance, handling