Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

NICE RIDE
By pongo2972

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2003 530i is the best car I've ever owned. It's fast, tight, shifts perfectly, and rides like a dream. Not only that, but when you get out of the car and look at it, you're glad you bought it. Also, just in case you didn't know, Consumer Reports rated this vehicle higher than any other car they had ever rated, ever!!!

Favorite Features

The whole car

Suggested Improvements

Stupid pointless cupholders, could be more storage in center console

Best combination of Luxury/Sport
By scbsee88

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

From the solid doors, plush leather and the Automatic Climate controls, the BMW takes car engineering to the next level. If you haven't driven a 5-series, I suggest you do and then you'll realize why all of the BMW cliches are right-on: Ultimate Driving Machine..."feel one with the road"..., etc. Don't believe the conventional wisdom that Lexus is more luxurious and BMW is more of a driver's car. My 530ia has got enough bells and whistles (sunroof, power seats, Automatic climate controls, stereo) to keep me more than satisfied. As a telecommuter, I have to come up with excuses to drive it out of my garage. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a 2003 while they come back from leases!

Favorite Features

Powerful automatic transmission more than adequate for most people, awesome low-end torque, sure handling, solid feel both inside the cabin and under the hood, sport-suspension allows you to feel the road, but not jarringly, great looks. Can you see me smiling behind the wheel :-) ?

An awesome car.
By fuzeboxny

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have loved driving this car since May of 03. The feel of the BMW on the road is unmatched in this class. I'm sadly turning this baby in, but, for a new '06 530xi.

Favorite Features

The feel of the seats as you drive.

Suggested Improvements

I agree that a CD changer should be standard, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I don't think the German engineers care that much about you carrying your big gulp with you, but better cup holders would be good. Other than that -- nothing.

Not My Last Beemer
By macjanum

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is absolutely the best all-around automobile I have ever owned or leased, including Mercedes. Superb reliability, comfort, handling, performance, safety. All I have added was an Alpine CD-changer and all- weather rubber floor mats. Forget the cup holders and drive! The 530iA has met or exceeded all of my expectations and disposal value remains high. This was my first BMW - I don't think it will be my last.

Favorite Features

Precise, balanced handling and dependable, responsive performance along with economy. This car won't hurt you at the pump, but the in-line six is awesome whenever you need it to be.

Suggested Improvements

The orange-tinted instrument lighting makes them almost invisible through sunglasses on a bright day. Also, a 6- Disk Alpine CD-Changer should be standard. Re-design the sliding armrest on the center console so it can't move unexpectedly while leaning on it.

530I Comments
By Big Dawg

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is an incredible vehicle. Highly recommend it! Only critique is the flimsy cupholders. Best vehicle I've ever had.

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholders, and make 6 disc CD changer std.