2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Solid and Nimble
By davethewave on 06/12/08 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very good build quality and performance. 93K and still no rattles, but rotors and heater are sounding worn out. Had computer chip go out under warranty, so reliability is not as good as expected for car at this price level. Dealer service was inconvenient. I have no regrets, but I would probably not buy another one new - mainly because I live too far from a dealer, and I don't like the new 5-series styling and high price.

Electronic Problems
By seabreez on 04/24/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We picked up A CPO 530i just off of lease. Records were clean & initially car lived up to the BMW standards. 3 months in the electrical system started going haywire (sensors) & has been a pain ever since. It has gotten to the point I contacted the CEO of BMWAG in Germany. Very disappointed they threw it back on dealer. It is the mfg. fault, not the dealer. At present working with dealer to roll out into another. Dealer is being very helpful & I hope for a resolution soon. Other than this the car is what you expect from a BMW.

Still love this car after 5 years
By Tom Mager on 04/16/08 14:28 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great car. Fun to drive, fast, extremely comfortable (the sport seats are wonderful for me - the only car I can drive for hours with no lower back pain), very reliable, and looks great. With the 6-speed manual transmission, I also get decent mileage considering the size and power of this car - 21 in mixed city/hwy, and mid-to-high 20s in all hwy driving. BMW makes some very nice cars but I don't see a new one I would trade this car for.

Solid performer
By SC owner on 11/21/07 14:24 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car with a strong luxury feel. I've owned the car about a year and driven it about 7,000 miles. I did have to replace the thermostat since I kept getting a service engine light. Another problem is missing pixels in my instrument display and radio display. This required replacing the instrument cluster and the MID display. Electronic parts are very expensive ($1600). Since the car was out of warranty, I wrote to BMW to see if they would assist with the repairs and they said they would. Put me in the BMW good will program and agreed to pay for the parts if I paid the labor. Good deal for me, nearly $2000 worth of repairs for less than $175.

BMW 530i - You gotta drive one!
By diggertoo on 09/28/07 20:35 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in great condition. The suspension system is incredible. The car feels like it's glued to the road and is the smoothest and most comfortable riding car I've ever driven. With a bad disk in my back, the lumbar system can be adjusted to make even longer trips very comfortable. The air vents in the dash provide circulation throughout the car, without hitting anyone directly in the face. And the sound system... if you close your eyes you would swear you were live at a concert. The sound system with 10 speakers and 2 subwoofers is that good and the list of other useful features could go on and on.

Best of the best
By blues55555 on 08/21/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The E39 style 5 series is a great mixture of classic BMW styling with modern technology. The later E39s (2001-2003) benefit from an upgrade to xenon headlights (with angel eyes), LED tail lights, steering wheel, and other cosmetic pieces. The V8 in the 540i is very quick for a mid-sized sedan. The quality of materials inside the cabin are top-notch. I could not be happier with this purchase. It is a lot of fun to drive. You read about people complaining about cup holders all the time, but I could care less about that. I don't think BMW is designing their cars for the Starbucks or Slurpee crowd. These cars are meant to be driven at fairly high speeds on the Autobahn. No car is perfect, but the 540i is close!

2003 540i - Ultimate Driving Machine!!!
By J.J. on 04/08/07 22:33 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

If you're like me, and don't like what BMW has done to the interior of the new 5 series than you'll love the 540i. It's still a "driver's" car with the interior cantered to the one behind the wheel. Having just purchased a pre-owned with relatively low miles this car is going to be a collector's car someday. It's the last of a BMW classic. The thick steering wheel in the M sports package add to the 540i's overall handeling and driving sensation. The engine is more than enough and commands repect even amongst it's peers. Fun, superb road handling, saftey and style define everything that has built BMW to what it is today. If you're not into the new look and confusing iDrive, the 540i is it!

I've had my 530i almost a year
By Charles Henke on 04/07/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 530i is my second BMW. This automobile is not only stylish but comfortable and fun to drive. It is an excellent road vehicle that gets reasonably good gas mileage. Quality in workmanship throughout the vehicle is exceptional. Some of the dash controls are somewhat confusing, however.

2003 BMW 540i
By D.Chow on 03/26/07 21:14 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

How can I say this... I finally understand the true meaning of, "The Ultimate Driving Machine!" I brought a CPO 2003 540i with the sport package in 2006. This is my personal sports car, family car, golfing car (room for foursome and 4 sets of golf clubs - they even give you a picture of how to best store the clubs in the trunk). I have so much fun driving this car. Sometimes I even take the longer but winding road home just to feel the acceleration and handling of the 540. Even with the automatic, I can either put the transmission in "S - Sports" mode or just shift it manually. It's FUN either way. My 9 year old son is already counting the days until his 17th birthday.

Don't waste your money!
By steve on 02/14/07 18:12 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a certified pre-owned BMW. Let me tell you, at first, I loved it! I liked the feeling of driving a luxury car. Now we'll get to the bad stuff. We drove 1000 miles away from home to visit family. We made it up there just fine. while we were up there, we had to take the "Bimmer" to the shop four times in three days due to a electrical malfunction. After the first two times of the dealership servicing the car, it overheated because one of the hoses had a hole in it! i expected better from BMW's certification process!