2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Performance with a Price
By Bill on 06/27/08 05:02 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just a splendid, intoxicating driving experience that had the hair on my head tingling for the first 2 months that I drove... BUT, OMG tires wore out at 15K, stabilizer bar, computer problems, display board problems surfaced at 3 yrs. $5K in repairs later (out of warranty on the listed items) and a few other "normal" expensive repairs and I am ready to sell it for a more reliable performance vehicle. Just frustrating to have to endure the financial and disappointing pain a $50,000 car should NOT give you. Be cautious when you purchase this one.

Solid and Nimble
By davethewave on 06/12/08 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very good build quality and performance. 93K and still no rattles, but rotors and heater are sounding worn out. Had computer chip go out under warranty, so reliability is not as good as expected for car at this price level. Dealer service was inconvenient. I have no regrets, but I would probably not buy another one new - mainly because I live too far from a dealer, and I don't like the new 5-series styling and high price.

Electronic Problems
By seabreez on 04/24/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We picked up A CPO 530i just off of lease. Records were clean & initially car lived up to the BMW standards. 3 months in the electrical system started going haywire (sensors) & has been a pain ever since. It has gotten to the point I contacted the CEO of BMWAG in Germany. Very disappointed they threw it back on dealer. It is the mfg. fault, not the dealer. At present working with dealer to roll out into another. Dealer is being very helpful & I hope for a resolution soon. Other than this the car is what you expect from a BMW.

Solid performer
By SC owner on 11/21/07 14:24 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car with a strong luxury feel. I've owned the car about a year and driven it about 7,000 miles. I did have to replace the thermostat since I kept getting a service engine light. Another problem is missing pixels in my instrument display and radio display. This required replacing the instrument cluster and the MID display. Electronic parts are very expensive ($1600). Since the car was out of warranty, I wrote to BMW to see if they would assist with the repairs and they said they would. Put me in the BMW good will program and agreed to pay for the parts if I paid the labor. Good deal for me, nearly $2000 worth of repairs for less than $175.

BMW 530i - You gotta drive one!
By diggertoo on 09/28/07 20:35 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in great condition. The suspension system is incredible. The car feels like it's glued to the road and is the smoothest and most comfortable riding car I've ever driven. With a bad disk in my back, the lumbar system can be adjusted to make even longer trips very comfortable. The air vents in the dash provide circulation throughout the car, without hitting anyone directly in the face. And the sound system... if you close your eyes you would swear you were live at a concert. The sound system with 10 speakers and 2 subwoofers is that good and the list of other useful features could go on and on.

I've had my 530i almost a year
By Charles Henke on 04/07/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 530i is my second BMW. This automobile is not only stylish but comfortable and fun to drive. It is an excellent road vehicle that gets reasonably good gas mileage. Quality in workmanship throughout the vehicle is exceptional. Some of the dash controls are somewhat confusing, however.

Don't waste your money!
By steve on 02/14/07 18:12 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a certified pre-owned BMW. Let me tell you, at first, I loved it! I liked the feeling of driving a luxury car. Now we'll get to the bad stuff. We drove 1000 miles away from home to visit family. We made it up there just fine. while we were up there, we had to take the "Bimmer" to the shop four times in three days due to a electrical malfunction. After the first two times of the dealership servicing the car, it overheated because one of the hoses had a hole in it! i expected better from BMW's certification process!

Buy one if you can...
By ERA on 09/07/06 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well-rounded car is an understatement. Great torque & power, smooth inline 6, best exterior design BMW ever made, handles really well for a large car. Only regret is not buying a new one because I know I would have babied the car a lot better.

Great family car
By Andreas on 08/28/06 12:09 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 530 has great cabin space and lots of rear seat room for the rest of the family. It also has great deep trunk space for the stroller. Although other makes have large cu. ft. trunk space, they are not very deep making it difficult to load stuff in the trunk without smashing the stroller. It is a great car with superb handling and comfort. It does not have the same acceleration as some of the other cars, but it offers excellent high speed kick-down and overtaking capabilities... especially with the steptronic.

NICE RIDE
By pongo2972 on 06/07/06 19:46 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2003 530i is the best car I've ever owned. It's fast, tight, shifts perfectly, and rides like a dream. Not only that, but when you get out of the car and look at it, you're glad you bought it. Also, just in case you didn't know, Consumer Reports rated this vehicle higher than any other car they had ever rated, ever!!!