2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Disappointing

2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

525i Wagon (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Disappointing
By Anonymous on

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Given the uniformly positive reviews on the e39 body 5-series, I was prepared to love this car. But it has been so disappointing that I'm considering selling it after five months of ownership. The problem is simple -- and no it's not the cupholders, which I agree are flimsy but they don't bother me. It's the constant and apparently unfixable creaks, squeaks, and rattles from the doors, the rear hatch, the seats, etc. (I've had it in at the dealer several times.) Also disappointing is the junky sound of the doors when slammed closed. Of the about 10 cars I've owned, this is one of the biggest bucket of bolts of the lot. If I could go back in time, I would NOT have bought this car.

The performance is good, the engine is responsive and smooth, and the car looks great. The sport seats are firm, but endlessly adjustable and quite comfortable. The aftermarket iPod integration with the stock stereo is wonderful.

The interior trim is so junky and noisy as to make the car nearly undrivable. The doors clatter when shut like an old Camaro, and squeak and shudder over bumps. I honestly can't believe others haven't noticed and/or reported on this.