Used 2006 Volvo V50 Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V50 model:

Good overall
By Jeff

2006 Volvo V50 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

I got the 2.4 (non-turbo) V50 at carmax years ago for a very low price (great deal- esp compared to other european carmakers, i.e., BMW, Audi). It has been outstanding in terms of reliability- with one exception, the A/C compressor had to be replaced - around $700; otherwise, great - engine transmission, electronics etc, all solid. The front seats are very comfortable for a smaller wagon. Mine is not leather - wish it was - the cloth seats show stains too easily (mine are a light grey color). I added a bluetooth unit which works great (but that was an aftermarket addition). Love the cargo in the back with the seats down- excellent space. The ride is very comfortable and relatively quiet for an inexpensive Volvo wagon. I wish I had a bigger wagon by Volvo bc i'm sure it would be even more comfortable and have an even better ride. Handling is just okay-but it's a wagon, not a sports car anyway. Acceleration is adequate even in the non-turbo 2.4 - again, it's not a sports car but it has enough power to motor past grandma if needbe. fuel economy is not great for a wagon that's not AWD. It is FWD just in case you didn't know - some torque steer but it's tolerable to me. And I don't need AWD here in southern CA. Can't recall what i paid or date of purchase

HORRIBLE CAR
By chrishel

2006 Volvo V50 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

bought in 2006 for its safety and reliability. beautiful interior but looks can be deceiving. has just over 100k miles. always regularly maintained.
Anything and everything has gone wrong.. A/c doesnt work. CD player broke 3 years ago. oxygen censors broke. transmission needed to be replaced($5000 cause volvo doesnt sell parts for transmission) now its the alternator. of course this all happens after warrenty has expired.
its been a total nightmare and I will never purchase another volvo

2006 Volvo V-50
By walrus17

2006 Volvo V50 T5 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Other than rountine maintenance for a car with 149K, it's been a reliable car. I did have a problem with an air/fuel sensor that was going bad and would not show up on the computer codes. Thought I had water in the fuel, but replaced the sensor for $397.00 and have had no further problems.
My car is a turbo 5 cylinder with all wheel drive and it has no power issues.
The car handles well in the snow and on wet roads. The vehicle is comfortalbe to drive and has heated leather seats. For a sport wagon with a sun roof, it's a great family car, that I would recommend.

Sun roof, Volvo mag wheels, all wheel drive, leather heated seats, great handeling.

A little more leg room in the front for those of us who are 6'4".

Dont judge a book by it cover
By Dave B

2006 Volvo V50 2.4i 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

The car looks great and is fun to drive, but I was spoiled by our Volkswagen Jetta in the reliability department. The Volvo V 50 has required work since we bought it- wiring harness issues, sun roof leak that we learned will cannot be fully rectified, gas cap issues-would not pass inspection, battery issues, anti- theft-immobilizer issues. The inconvenience is one thing, but now that it is out of warranty, I worry it is going to cost us a great deal to keep it on the road. This will be the first and last Volvo for us.

Appearance and drive.

Perhaps less bells and whistles electronic wise; perhaps simpler is better in this case. Certainly Volvo needs to improve the reliability of the electrical and electronic systems.

Repeated Electronic problem
By marc

2006 Volvo V50 T5 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have been having repeated problem with the check engine, engine shutting down on the hwy and ignition key that cannot be removed from the ignition I bought a volvo for safety and reliability. I never had an accident therefore cannot comment on safety. On the reliability side it have been very expensive to maintain and very unreliable 1) Day 1 engine light 2) 2 month in ignition key stuck 4) 50K replace all tires alignment not properly done by Volvo dealer 5) 85kRigh rear bearing 6) 100k Engine light and engine shutting down while driving, many trip to the dealer problem disappeared on its own after 125K 7) 145K more problem with ignition key I'm now look at selling it