Used 2009 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Solid and safe but instruments too touchy
By PPL

2009 Volvo S60 T5 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Repairs are very costly. I bought my used car at 79K and put over 24K miles in less than 2 years. Every other month something major needed repairing. Things that I never ever had to repair on a 2001 Honda Accord EX which I put over 240K miles. Things like the throttle, system tire service, two front wheel well, anything to do with suspension is not covered after factory warranty even is you buy additional warranty from the dealership. I spent more in less than 2 years on my S60 than I've ever have on my Accord. The difference, I bought my Accord brand new and all the miles i put on it were mine and I took very good care of my Accord so I definitely got my money's worth. Because the previous miles on the Volvo were not mine, I can only suspect that drove it rough and did not take great care of the car. OR it is just a car that needs LOTS of ATTENTION and REPAIRS. I will NEVER buy another Volvo because it is too expensive for repairs and not very reliable. This would be winter number 2 for my Volvo and I'm not expecting much. Just be warned of costly repairs and poor handling due to poor suspension and handling.

Not the best
By Conner Stoll

Disappointed
By Ken

2009 Volvo S60 2.5T SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My first Volvo was a used 1999 s-70, great car, loved it. This 2009is very poor in comparison, the front seats have no comfort, it rides like a log wagon. The headlights are impossible to change the bulbs, and when I did the wires on the plug are shot. If this is what volvo has come to in 10 years, I want no part of another one.

An Expensive Ride
By gorj

2009 Volvo S60 2.5T 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I am a Volvo owner since 1967.
Being a mechanic, I have performed most of the non-warranty work on the Volvo myself. My experience has been that most Volvo dealers are way too expensive for both parts and labor. Sometimes they tend to find issues with your Volvo that never existed before you took it in. They also often do not repair what you asked them to repair. Recently I ordered a new key and remote for my 2009 Volvo, which was missing one of the two when I purchased it.
The key and remote were about $300.
The Volvo dealer wanted another $295 to program it.
I am outraged that for just a key and a remote I will be out almost $600. This may be my last Volvo!!

I have always liked the safety of a Volvo. But as Volvo becomes so expensive to own, I am considering other autos that are just as safe today but cost much less to own. Volvo has always had a very comfortable seat with lots of adjustments. I like the programable power seat adjustments.

Volvo needs to be more fuel efficient. 23 to 28 MPG does not make it today. $600 for a key and remote is absurd. What were they thinking? The interior of a Toyota Camry at $20,000 has more room than a $40,000 S60! An entertainment system should include navigation, Bluetooth, USB, etc. with a auto of this class. The cruise control switch on the steering wheel is in a awkward position. The auto temp control looses its settings every time you turn off the car. Sometimes the radio switches from AUX to FM on it own. At the price it should include home link. Trunk height is too short. Should be easy to turn off headlights when driving - another major programing issue.

A great buy!
By Jeanie

2009 Volvo S60 2.5T SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I have always driven large suvs (suburban, escalade, Tahoe), but with my new position I needed something to be driving out of town frequently (prev drove Accord, Avalon cts for work travel). I looked at the c class Benz, BMW, Cadillac. But the safety ratings & Volvo service are irreplaceable. The fact that there are no luxury dealerships in my town means that whatever I bought had to have great service & road side assist. I love this car! I wish I could have waited for the new model, but got a terrific deal on this one. You cannot beat Volvo quality no matter how serene & sedate you feel the styling is. Once you drive one & ride in one you are hooked!

The communication center on the dash & wand, wind shield wipers!, the sun roof. Even when it is open it is very quiet unlike the roofs in other vehicles. Love the cup holder & cover when not using!

The radio is very low tech. My brother has the S40 & it has a waterfall center console like the S80 & I like it better.