Used 1997 Volvo 850 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Old Blue!
By Robert

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

If you can't work on it yourself. Find a reasonable Volvo mechanic that can. Never take it to a dealer. Before you think about buying an older Volvo look up "Robert DIY" on You Tube, and he will tell you what to look for. I seen my 850 GLT sitting on a local Northern Mo. used car lot with like 65,000 original miles on it a year and a half ago when I bought it. I bought it for like $3,750.00 dollars. So far I have the whole PCV system replaced (gets clogged up). If not fixed can cause seal leaks from pressure buildup. Just replaced the rear cam seal and fuel pump went out recently at 79,000 miles. In general I love the way it drives, has plenty of power and is my wife's commuter car. I liked the 850 so much I bought a 1998 Volvo S 70 T5 not long after with only 100,000 miles on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIw1GJgD_x8 This is the exact car I bought and rarely drive. The car is a real sleeper. Only like 361 of them produced with the five speed manual tranny, and about 240 HP and 250 ft lb's torque and is a blast to drive! I'm thinking about getting the new Polestar S 60 next.

The Best Volvo
By baristablaine

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This Volvo 850 has been the best car I have ever owned. I currently Have 315,000 miles on it.

Fun to Drive, Pleanty of Power for me. ok fuel economy. You can actualy Fit 3 car seats in the Back!!!!

Everything is great as long as you can get used to the location of all the buttons.

Good Used Car Value
By robkn

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just bought a '97 base with automatic - has 124k miles.
Rides like a limo - best front seats I have ever seen.
Getting 25 mpg in mixed driving.
Find one that has been maintained and you can keep it forever.
You may spend some repair money every year, but it is cheaper than a car payment.

Ride, handling, brakes, seats, good a/c.

Needs 91 octane gas.

Still purrs like a kitten @ 208,500 miles!
By volvoinme

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever purchased! Considering it had 160,000 on it when I bought it. It runs great, gets decent gas mileage and has only died on me once because the fuel pump quit! (Was the original) All I have to say is volvo might be an expensive car to buy, but like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I will buy another volvo, as this one is not my last!

I think the whole car is my favorite feature! It still looks great, gives a nice ride and everything works! Way to go volvo!!

The only issue I have had with the car is the dashboard seems to be loose and rattles alot over bumps, but considering that the car is 14 years old, I think I can live with it!

Best Value
By george

1997 Volvo 850 Sedan T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought it last year (second owner), and couldn't be happier. Very solid, powerful, reliable, and smooth. Very fun to drive. I feel very safe in it, and therefore feel comfortable with my kids driving it. I've had to replace the alternator, that's all, but I have 175,000 miles on it, so what do you expect? Despite the mileage, it still runs very smooth, I imagine as smooth as when it was new. I love driving this car! I would definitely consider another Volvo on my next purchase. The only other fix was the gas cap cover, it no longer locks, but it's very minor and have yet to fix it.

Exterior style/look, solid feel, its power(Turbo!), and reliability. Leather seats are comfortable. Drives very sturdy. Paint job is outstanding! Been parked at work in the hot sun for 13 years and is still bright shiny red. I don't notice any fading, and people don't believe it's original paint job.

Interior design, particularly the location of controls (window, etc.). Control center for all windows is in the center as opposed to on the doors, and the cup holders are small & located right above the window controls in the center. If a drink leaks/spills, it'll spill on the electronic controls.